Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody using Hodgdon Universal for 45?

JMPhotog

I have a container of Hodgdon Universal, not clays, just Universal. I use Bullseye for my IDPA loads and I am happy with it.

But I have a container of Universal and right now I only load 45. I don't see many recipes for 45. Should I even bother, or save it for when I start loading 9mm in a few months?

Hodgdon's website lists loads for it quite nicely, just with a couple of weird OAL's in some of them but correct charge weights.

That was about the only data I did see. The manuals I have do not list any data for it with 45 and 230's or 200's.

I agree with Steve RA. I got large extreme velocity spreads with Universal in 45 acp unless it was loaded to the max. OTOH, Universal worked quite nicely for me with 124gr jacketed bulls in 9mm. It was not quite as "soft" as Titegroup, but burned cleanly, was accurate in my gun, and burned cooler than Titegroup.

By the way, get the Hodgdon "Annual Manual" for thousands of rifle and pistol loads with all Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders. A new edition comes out each December or January and it contains many times the number of loads you will see through online sources. The current edition is probably available through Amazon.

I use it with 200gr RNs. It meters great in my Uniflow with micro adjuster and it is very clean. I suppose it is a bit harsh but it sure is accurate. I also shoot 357 Magnum with 296 and Ruger-only 45 Colt with 4227 so 45 Auto with Universal doesn't seem that harsh to me. Guess it's what you're used to.

• 2 weeks later...

It's more of the recoil impulse I guess. I like it with a heavier bullet in 45. I just bought 8 lbs I'll have that for a good while. A 158 grain bullet in a 357 case with 5.7 grains of universal is super accurate out of a smith I have. Yeah I like universal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you want full power (heavy recoil) loads for clearing bowling pin tables, see if you can trade it to someone for a faster powder like regular Clays, WST, Red Dot / Promo. I tried it in .45 with 230gr FMJ, and was not happy. I love it in 9mm with 124-147gr bullets though. It behaves totally differently there, and really needs high pressure to burn properly.

Unless you want full power (heavy recoil) loads for clearing bowling pin tables, see if you can trade it to someone for a faster powder like regular Clays, WST, Red Dot / Promo. I tried it in .45 with 230gr FMJ, and was not happy. I love it in 9mm with 124-147gr bullets though. It behaves totally differently there, and really needs high pressure to burn properly.

I agree, since it's a slower powder I never tried it in .45 and I saved it for 9mm. Had pretty good results in 9mm with 125 gr bullet, I believe I was loading 3.8 grains of Universal.

I've used it. I made up some "Minor .45" a couple years ago. It worked OK. Not as good as Bullseye for that purpose. I think I'd save it for 9mm myself. When it was available it was one of the more popular powders in my area for guys shooting 147's.