Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metal vs plastic experiment

glocklover

Weight is a catch 22. A heavier gun is recoil managed better but it's heavier to swing making it heavier to draw and transition with. There is a difference. I can shoot minor .40 through my 3lb STI and my draw from a CR Speed holster is consistently slower than drawing my 29oz M&P production gun from my BladeTech dropped offset but my splits are faster with the STI and I have 100's of hours training with both.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Had a very recent experience. This is more about gun weight than Glocks/plastic though I shot Glocks quite a lot in the past. But I think this relevant here.

My main Open gun is a 2011 that weighs 47.5oz. I dryfire and livefire it regularly for the past 1-2 yrs. and logged my drill times religiously. Then a couple of weeks ago I acquired a used Open 2011 thats much lighter at 420z. When I ran it thru my DF gun handling drills the first thingthat impressed me most was how easily I could HIT ALL my par times without much effort and felt had some to spare. In my heavier main gun, it was a bit of struggle to consistently hits those times. But ymmv. And it could just be the "trick of the day" for me. I dunno.

The the gun does make a difference, but only for shooters with issues. If you have strongly developed trigger control and recoil managment, the specific gun matters less. A quality trigger pull is easier to manipulate without moving the gun. If you have mastered trigger contol, this isn't an issue for the vast majority of shots. Same for recoil control.

The goal should be to get good enough so gun selection matters less for you. If you are confident in the Glock, spend money on ammo.

Edited by Attila

Wow! I didn't know that.

A write up of the Production Nationals is here : http://liveshots.net/articles/2015usnatsp/

The point of the article is that the type of gun used by the top competitors is essentially irrelevant.

YES!!!

except that no one on this thread is a 'super squad" competitior and therefore which gun you shoot does matter ...

I loved my Shadows in Production, I had a shadow all setup for Production Optics, then we got this BS Carry Optics. I set up my P-09 for CO and did the trigger magic detailed in a different thread. No, the P-09 is not a Shadow when it comes to the trigger, yes the P-09 trigger is damn good. Slowfire it is evident, but under the pressure of USPSA competition I am not sure it makes a big if any difference. Currently I am pretty happy with the lighter gun (I am also coiming off of tendon surgery in my right arm so lighter is better), but IF the weight limit is lifted, I will have to do some testing to see which I will use.

Takeing it one step further, then would

you say there is difference between an open Glock and a open Sti? If the gun doesn't matter.

empirically speaking, I would say that probably the current level of development of open Glocks is not sufficient to be competitive with S_I variants.

That makes sense to me, because the popular open guns are pretty much designed from the ground up, instead of being retrofitted onto a normal carry gun chassis, and the S_I guns have been developing and progressing for several years.

No. It was said "the gun doesn't matter"

talking about production. the gun MAY matter in other areas. i wouldn't put a glock against a machine gun in combat at 200 yards.

the trick is to quantify the amount it matters.

There are lots of guys that can shoot as fast and accuratly as the top guys. There are other things that separate the top guys for which the gun doesn't matter. How fast you get into and out of position, how well you break down a stage, how well you deal with things after a something went wrong.

The gun can make a SMALL difference for many shooters, and it is the on difference maker you can purchase. But for most you would be better off spending your money on ammo and classes.