Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gun?

StraightSh00ter

These questions always make me laugh.

And the responses often make me laugh even harder.

Why in god's name would you ask someone else what gun is right for you? You're gonna get 50 responses that are all different and, if you are going solely on the results of your poll, will leave even more confused than you were to begin with.

My advice? PICK ONE. Make up your own mind and stop all this crap.

Why in god's name would you ask someone else what gun is right for you? You're gonna get 50 responses that are all different and, if you are going solely on the results of your poll, will leave even more confused than you were to begin with.

I think it's a reasonable topic for a relatively new shooter to raise with friends or on a forum. Different opinions might bring up considerations I hadn't yet thought about, or inspire me to change priorities or something. If you don't like conversations about what guns people like, I don't know why you would spend time in a forum about guns.

There are some fixed sight options that fit the Bomar sight cuts, I've not used them.

The Bomar-type sights can have some Sharp edges. I grab the front of the slide, but there are some adjustables made with rounded contours.

We had issues getting springs and screws for our clubs Springfield loaded so I got a set of these from Brownells for it. They are a drop in sight into the LPA cut or you can the Bomar cut replacement.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/1911-lpa-rear-sight-prod27287.aspx

Edited by terrydoc

I think it's a reasonable topic for a relatively new shooter to raise with friends or on a forum. Different opinions might bring up considerations I hadn't yet thought about, or inspire me to change priorities or something. If you don't like conversations about what guns people like, I don't know why you would spend time in a forum about guns.

Ok, so here's how you make your decision:

You already have the Sig. Scratch it off the list.

The STI is Cerecoted. That's gonna be a royal PIA to remove if you are going to have it hard chromed. I'd scratch it off the list.

You say the S&W fits your hand the best. I can see that with different companies using differen't thicknesses in the frontstrap. Needs trigger work. not that hard to do. And S&W is decent quality.

These all are in the same price range at $1600.

The Kimber is $400 less and in my opinion is better quality than the rest.

Better quality. Higher longevity. Lower price.

Choice is obvious to me.

There are some fixed sight options that fit the Bomar sight cuts, I've not used them.

The Bomar-type sights can have some Sharp edges. I grab the front of the slide, but there are some adjustables made with rounded contours.

We had issues getting springs and screws for our clubs Springfield loaded so I got a set of these from Brownells for it. They are a drop in sight into the LPA cut or you can the Bomar cut replacement.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/1911-lpa-rear-sight-prod27287.aspx

I'm having my first issues with the Kensight/LPA right now. The rear sight is loose, and the hex seems to be bigger than 5/64" but smaller than 3/32". What a pita.

I have a STI Trogan in 9mm with 5 Tripp mags, 2 Dawson mags, 1 STI mag, a Dawson mag well, an extended mag release button, short curved trigger, Bladetech holster, ghost mag pouches and some extra parts. Gun has less than 2000 rounds thru it. No blemishes. $1200. I just got a STI Edge to shoot limited. I hate mag changes so no more SS. (Black blade front sight, no fiber optic).

This would be my choice in a heart beat for a stock gun! What a great deal from a known forum member!

All I can say is, if the OP keeps buying guns because they feel better than anything else, he better never ever shoot a custom built gun! Probably should just call Matt Cheely and put the money down on a new build and get it over with! :devil::cheers:

Any decisions yet?

I've thought a lot about what people posted above:

*I think it would be a mistake to buy something without first checking out a Dan Wesson.

*I can live with a Bomar sight if the rest of the gun fits me well.

*If I were to choose from above, my two choices are actually a jump to the STI Sentinel (everything I want, and not much more than Lawman when you factor in the chrome and magwell) or a Kimber with a bunch of custom work.

I met a guy who is now my local 'smith. He builds some pretty fancy Open/Limited guns and lives right up the street. Having someone like that close by takes some of the pressure off having to buy something else right away. We're still having conversations about the things I want and what can be done reasonably to whatever I decide to buy. In the meantime I got the trigger cleaned up on my Sig (got rid of the S80 components, new spring, cleaned and adjusted to 2.5lb pull, etc) and the trigger is nothing short of beautiful. I got the magwell beveled to match the frame, changed the front sight, fitted a new mag release, and I am finishing up with a flat trigger. We've also talked about a high ride beaver tail / grip safety, undercut trigger, and I can't remember what else. I am having a set of custom grips made (Carl Wallace) using Roco blanks so the gun should feel closer to the S&W in my hand. So I am learning what can be done to a gun to make it just right. I have to say that my Sig is a lot more enjoyable to shoot than anything else I've ever shot, including an STI Edge I got to shoot at Steel last week. And it seems to keep getting better.

A lot of this thread was about having a backup in case something goes wrong with my Sig. Like I said, there's less pressure now that I know a local 'smith. I still want to get something but I am going to get what I think is right for me. Maybe some feel these kinds of threads are a joke, but I think this thread has helped me narrow down on what I really want, given me some good direction, and encouraged me to try more guns (like DW) before spending a decent chunk of change on my next gun.

All I can say is, if the OP keeps buying guns because they feel better than anything else, he better never ever shoot a custom built gun! Probably should just call Matt Cheely and put the money down on a new build and get it over with! :devil::cheers:

Hey Sarge - remember who's number you gave me? I can assure you this thought has more than crossed my mind ;)

+1 for Dan Wesson.

@straightshooter- if you are leaning that way, it is a direction that is worthy of exploration. I own a PM9 and an SSC and I am very happy with the performance of both in terms of fit and function. Their service is good and their product is high quality.

https://us.armscor.com/products/rock-ultra-fs-9mm $550

Meets all your requirements except finish and match trigger job. Add a match barrel bushing if needed and it will run with any of the others for a lot less money.

So to shoot that gun (I was considering the 40 version) in SS I would need a new barrel and a bushing, correct? No bull barrels in Single stack, is that correct?