Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lowest profile mini red dot to slide-mount on a glock?

JoeyMac

I'm thinking about putting together a Glock top end assembly for open division. Historically, I have a lot of trouble shooing pistols with optics that sit too high above the top of the slide because my eyes naturally try to look down the top of the slide to the front sight. So I plan on using a slide mounted mini red dot and having the slide milled to have whatever optic I choose mount as low as possible.

In addition to the older options I'm more familiar with, there's a lot of new options available in the mini red dot world; Viper, Deltapoint, Fastfire 3, Trijicon, STS... etc.

What going to be my best choice for an optic window that mounts as LOW as possible into the slide?

Also, what's considered a reliable/rugged optic that will take a good beating riding on the slide?

If you have pictures to share that would be helpful too.

Yeah, the Jpoints look tiny, but the window also looks smaller than the other offerings as well. I'm not sure, I've never had a chance to handle a Jpoint.

I was sort of thinking the Leupold Deltapoints... the base looks thin and I love the way the window is larger than something more typical like a fast fire.

Hello: I would find the one with the biggest glass. The J-Point is very small compared to some of the others available. I wish C-More would make one with the same size glass as the regular Slide-Ride. They would have a winner then. If you want it low you can cut the slide to lower the optic. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I would find the one with the biggest glass. The J-Point is very small compared to some of the others available. I wish C-More would make one with the same size glass as the regular Slide-Ride. They would have a winner then. If you want it low you can cut the slide to lower the optic. Thanks, Eric

+1

I agree!

For me, less glass makes it harder to fine the dot...but that is just me. It might be different for other folks.

I use a FastFire III mounted to a Glock 23 using Evolution Gun Works rear-sight mount kit (@$49) with some purple loctite. I have over 4000 rounds on it and hasn't move and it has kept Zero.

I tried another mount that screwed into the slide backplate but that never stayed put. Also the micro sized screws were impossible to deal with. It may work for others....but not for me.

So far I am liking my RMR (RM05G). The lens is small, but if you have a consistent grip and index on the gun, the dot will be there when you bring the gun up. Mine was machined into the slide by Grizz Precision and it is plenty low. Just as low as your standard irons would be.

I would love an RMR... but they tend to be a tad bit pricier from what I have seen.

Do you find the tritium/fiber sight (no LED) bright enough indoors & outdoors? Ever run into an issue shooting from under shade, from a weird shaded angle, or on an overcast day into a well lit area? I would have to think an LED powered sight is significantly brighter...

Sorry for the late response. I was very concerned about the brightness of the dual illuminated RMR based on ONE review here on BE forum. I went for it anyway and I am very happy with it so far. I did shoot from inside of a van at my first match, and the dot was noticeably dimmer than when standing in the open, but it did not hinder my performance. I just noticed it, that's all. I have not shot from inside of a dark house, but when I'm in my own house at night I can easily pick up the dot. It's not too dim at all, but my eyes are also well adjusted to the low light area.

https://youtu.be/tnEcfbis-XQ?t=2m14s