Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun holster

Dewberry

Ive been using the safariland ALS on an invictus practical hanger, but I'm starting to feel that the locking retention isn't needed anymore, and very rarely I am getting hung up on it.

I've been considering switching to either the LAG nova, or the nerd coffin. Both of them were influenced by top 3 gun pros. Anyone have some experience with either of these, or have something else they would recommend?

Seeing how many DQ's I've seen from people running around and having their gun flop out of the holster, I'm sticking with the ALS. Heck, I'm using that in USPSA now too and I'm not noticing an effect on draw speed so why not?

Seeing how many DQ's I've seen from people running around and having their gun flop out of the holster, I'm sticking with the ALS. Heck, I'm using that in USPSA now too and I'm not noticing an effect on draw speed so why not?

Yeah I like it, but I bought it when I was shooting an full size M&P, and now I'm shooting a pro so my front sight sticks out the end. That combined with the fact that

Also where are you seeing pistols bouncing out of holsters? I haven't seen a pistol come out of the holster of a competent shooter accidentally in quite a while.

Keep the retention. Going prone then getting back up? Hope that pistol doesn't get bumped on something. Tight corner around a wall? Same. Retention puts all that out of my mind so I can focus on shooting.

Pistol draw is a trivial amount of time in 3 Gun. I would argue that the amount of time lost either running more carefully or running with your hand on the pistol so it doesn't fall out would be higher than the relatively small difference in draw speed.

I think there were a few handguns dropped out of the holsters DQ's at FNH this year for example, as there always are. It happens more then it should when running on natural terrain with all the possible snags and the like.

Is your front sight dragging on anything when you draw or are you just worried that it is exposed? For the latter I would think it would be really easy to attach some form of kydex hood at the bottom of the holster.

Edited by Vlad

Is your front sight dragging on anything when you draw or are you just worried that it is exposed? For the latter I would think it would be really easy to attach some form of kydex hood at the bottom of the holster.

Just exposed not dragging, I was just thinking about some kinda hood. Good idea

I use an ALS for my M&P's in 3gun. Yes the front of the pro does stick out the end of the holster, but so far it has not caused me any problems. I did have issues with the front site hitting the bottom of the ALS insert on the draw. It would cause a little hang up sometimes but the kicker is it would break the bead off the fiber insert. I went through too many fibers before I modified my holster. If you remove the ALS insert there will be a channel in it for the front site. I chamfered the channel to make a funnel for the front site on the draw. No more hangups and I don't go through nearly as many fibers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 9/22/2015 at 11:32 AM, StealthyBlagga said:

You can get an ALS holster for a 5" Pro that fully covers the muzzle... I have one (let me know if you want the model #). I also have a 5.11 retention holster that fits the 5" Pro.

This is a pretty old post but I do have a friend looking for an ALS that will cover the muzzle of the Pro.  Do you still have the model information?

8 hours ago, Steve O'Connell said:

This is a pretty old post but I do have a friend looking for an ALS that will cover the muzzle of the Pro.  Do you still have the model information?

I just looked at my holster and it does not actually have a part number on it (just "S&W M&P 5" 9/40"). The holster is one of the lower cost SafariSeven ALS holsters, the Model 7377 7TS™ ALS® Concealment Belt Slide Holster (SKU: 1169283 PART: 7377-819-411). This information is hard to find because the Safariland Holster Finder search tool really sucks... it lists numerous versions of the 5" M&P, but only one of them ("M&P9L W/ THUMB SAFETY") actually returns this holster (even though all of the 5" guns with iron sights will fit).

By the way, I rarely use this ALS holster because I find the newer GLS holster to be a better choice for 3-Gun - easier to draw from without giving yourself an Atomic Wedgie :roflol:

Hope this helps.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

14 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

I just looked at my holster and it does not actually have a part number on it (just "S&W M&P 5" 9/40"). The holster is one of the lower cost SafariSeven ALS holsters, the Model 7377 7TS™ ALS® Concealment Belt Slide Holster (SKU: 1169283 PART: 7377-819-411). This information is hard to find because the Safariland Holster Finder search tool really sucks... it lists numerous versions of the 5" M&P, but only one of them ("M&P9L W/ THUMB SAFETY") actually returns this holster (even though all of the 5" guns with iron sights will fit).

By the way, I rarely use this ALS holster because I find the newer GLS holster to be a better choice for 3-Gun - easier to draw from without giving yourself an Atomic Wedgie :roflol:

Hope this helps.

Thanks Stealthy, that helps a lot. He is pretty adamant about sticking with the retention he's familiar with and I couldn't believe how hard it was to locate what should have been a simple holster.  Safariland is just weird sometimes.