Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the advantage of a Ti cylinder?

FWSixgunner

How to get one? Get extremely lucky and buy one on the 2nd hand market.

I've got Ti Cylinders on all my competition revolvers, 625s, 627s, 327s, I even threw a lightweight aluminum cylinder in my 617.

Making the action lighter, which I think holds some merit. I like them because of the lighter weight and longevity ( holds up to peening better )

On the guns that I build a steel cylinder will usually run about about 1/4# heavier trigger pull than the same gun with the cylinder open.

I would guess a Ti cylinder MIGHT reduce the trigger pull a couple of ounces over a steel cylinder.

Ti cylinders can help with peening but I have seen them peen also.

Ti cylinders have their own problems like sticky extraction but they can usually be fixed.

Ti cylinders are easier on cylinder stops but cylinder stops are cheap and should be replaced every 10000 rounds or so anyway. IMO

I did run the cylinder stop in my main 625, which was regulated to dryfire after the rule change, for probably way over 1 million dryfires before it broke because it wasn't peening the notches and still worked.

I have seen steel cylinders peen in 2-300 rounds and I have a 625-3 that was my competition gun and has approx 30K live fire and probably closing in on 1.5 MILLION dryfires on it. I still use it for dryfire. Cylinder has never peened on it. Have broke 2 hammer mounted firing pins and a cylinder stop while dryfiring. Poor gun has been beat on in dryfire and still works great.

Several customers have asked if they should buy a Ti cylinder when they send me a gun to do the action work on. I tell them that I wouldn't spend the money on a Ti cylinder(even if you can find one) unless they have a cylinder that peens and has been fixed a few times and needs replaced anyway.

Edited by Bosshoss

the bad thing about Ti cylinders is that once they get flame cut in the chamber, they will split brass. I have one 38/357 cylinder that I had to replace. When cleaned up, you can see a zig zag pattern in two of the chambers and the brass will actually crack with the same patters

the bad thing about Ti cylinders is that once they get flame cut in the chamber, they will split brass. I have one 38/357 cylinder that I had to replace. When cleaned up, you can see a zig zag pattern in two of the chambers and the brass will actually crack with the same patters

John, any chance this could relate to the blown up 929 cylinder thread?

I'm in different about the cylinders. Going for the lightest trigger pull is a lost cause. (Its for the bottom feeders)

It kills your splits and can cause reliability issues.

What I noticed was my 627-4 38 super was 2 oz heavier but felt better reloading and more balanced.

The steel cylinders have a nice distinct feel when they open.

My 929 didn't feel balanced until I cut 2.5oz off the barrel.

I look for the balance in the gun.

9f10b0f5be3668567f9ff5b4e6aa3f34.jpg

no, I don't think this has anything to do with the 929 cylinders blowing up. If I get a chance I will put the BO cylinder in this weekend and see if I can get some pictures of split cases. not sure if I can get a picture of the chambers with the cutting. I did run this cylinder for about a year before I decided to just get a new one

On the guns that I build a steel cylinder will usually run about about 1/4# heavier trigger pull than the same gun with the cylinder open.

I would guess a Ti cylinder MIGHT reduce the trigger pull a couple of ounces over a steel cylinder.

Ti cylinders have their own problems like sticky extraction but they can usually be fixed.

Ti cylinders are easier on cylinder stops but cylinder stops are cheap and should be replaced every 10000 rounds or so anyway. IMO

I did run the cylinder stop in my main 625, which was regulated to dryfire after the rule change, for probably way over 1 million dryfires before it broke because it wasn't peening the notches and still worked.

I have seen steel cylinders peen in 2-300 rounds and I have a 625-3 that was my competition gun and has approx 30K live fire and probably closing in on 1.5 MILLION dryfires on it. I still use it for dryfire. Cylinder has never peened on it. Have broke 2 hammer mounted firing pins and a cylinder stop while dryfiring. Poor gun has been beat on in dryfire and still works great.

Several customers have asked if they should buy a Ti cylinder when they send me a gun to do the action work on. I tell them that I wouldn't spend the money on a Ti cylinder(even if you can find one) unless they have a cylinder that peens and has been fixed a few times and needs replaced anyway.

2.5 million dryfires on your 625s? Jesus Christ dude......

2.5 million dryfires on your 625s? Jesus Christ dude......

Sorry same gun only 1.5 million not 2.5 million.

When I got back into revolver the first winter I set in front of the TV when there were no matches and pulled the trigger until I couldn't anymore. I counted pulls per minute and averaged around 3000 pulls a day. Everyday for months.

4 years later and now I'm only dryfiring about 1000 a week.

Sorry for any confusion.

Yeah, that's why he's the BOSSHOSS!! :bow: I know he's been shooting the wheelies since before I started shooting them.

Back on point. I looked for a long time to try and find a Ti cylinder for my 686, and after talking to some of the other guys, they all said that they didn't think it was worth switching to if I wasn't having any issues out of my SS one. I like the way the look, but I am thinking about just finding a blued one to offset the color between the frame and cylinder. I like the look of the cylinder being a different color, it would be a cosmetic thing only. (My SS one gets caked in carbon anyway, it usually looks like a 2-tone gun most of the time).