Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please Help Me Decide - 550 or 650

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we can't have the kind of powder check system on a 550 that we can have with a 650, might I have been overlooking the importance of such a feature when leaning toward a 550?

Safe reloader will visually check every single case and evaluate each powder charge individually, check every other station, visually verify each step.

Since we can't have the kind of powder check system on a 550 that we can have with a 650, might I have been overlooking the importance of such a feature when leaning toward a 550?

Safe reloader will visually check every single case and evaluate each powder charge individually, check every other station, visually verify each step.

Understood but tell me what my motivation would be for wanting to do that manually when I can automate it. I don't have hands-on familiarity with these machines, but I believe with a 650 equipped with a powder check system, the human is relieved of the task of a visual/manual powder check, correct?

Understood but tell me what my motivation would be for wanting to do that manually when I can automate it. I don't have hands-on familiarity with these machines, but I believe with a 650 equipped with a powder check system, the human is relieved of the task of a visual/manual powder check, correct?

IMO. No, powder check actually doesnt relieve somebody on visually inspecting the case. I don't find it necessary to use because I visualize the powder when I set my bullets.

I consider the 650 too before base on the powder check for safety but i decided since i will still be visually inspecting the case 650 or 550 press. Powder check would not be necessary for my needs. Im happy with my 550 due to its "simplicity".

One thing I haven't heard discussed in this thread is that you can slow down the 650 to 550 levels. Remove the case feed, disable the auto indexing and do things manually. Then when you get more comfortable, add the additional features in.......just saying, its an option. Then you also have the extra hole for powder check.

IMO. No, powder check actually doesnt relieve somebody on visually inspecting the case. I don't find it necessary to use because I visualize the powder when I set my bullets.

I consider the 650 too before base on the powder check for safety but i decided since i will still be visually inspecting the case 650 or 550 press. Powder check would not be necessary for my needs. Im happy with my 550 due to its "simplicity".

Visually inspecting it where? Internally for the powder charge, or externally for other things?

Why have a powder check system if you would still be visually checking the powder charge? I'm thinking the answer is: you would not visually inspect the powder charge if you're running a powder check system.

Visually inspecting it where? Internally for the powder charge, or externally for other things?

Why have a powder check system if you would still be visually checking the powder charge? I'm thinking the answer is: you would not visually inspect the powder charge if you're running a powder check system.

I visually check the powder charges when i sit my bullets. That will be 550 or if i have 650. My eyes wont fail seeing the powder charge, the powder check system will.

Other forums will tell you they have 650 and they still visually check the charge when sitting bullets. Some dont really use the powder check.

Again im not an expert this is base on my opinion and after reading for months. I started reloading by myself just reading, nobody thought me how to reload. But i read many as i can and research and that took me months. So whatever what im telling you is base on my opinion. And i did a survey notes for myself and peoples response if that will help.

Thanks

Edited by glocklife34

My eyes wont fail seeing the powder charge, the powder check system will.

I'm curious as to how the powder check can fail to indicate when it is a mechanical rod.

If there is powder in the case the rod will raise accordingly, if not it won't..

I use it as a visual indicator and pay no attention to the buzzer.

My eyes wont fail seeing the powder charge, the powder check system will.

I use it as a visual indicator and pay no attention to the buzzer.

Unless it's a rifle cartridge if you can watch a rod move as a visual indicator, can't you simply look in the case as well? A cheap light saves money and more importantly a hole in the tool head

Understood but tell me what my motivation would be for wanting to do that manually when I can automate it. I don't have hands-on familiarity with these machines, but I believe with a 650 equippeyd with a powder check system, the human is relieved of the task of a visual/manual powder check, correct?

No

I have a 550, it was my first press. It is pretty easy to learn on and after doing it a while you'll develop a feel for what it is supposed to feel like and the sounds that are normal. I like it. Caliber changes are quick and easy once you do the initial set up, provided you buy extra tool heads and the like. That being said, I look at 650's and 1050's every time they come up for sale as factoring in my time cost on the 550, im probably not saving any money vs buying ammo.. but I am getting bunny fart loads that make minimum pf. That being said, I'll probably eventually wind up with one of the big boys setup for 40 and do 9mm and 45 on the 550. Im not in any particular hurry to do it, but wouldn't hesitate if the right deal presented itself. I don't think I'd approach it any different if I were to go back and do it all over again. I definitely do not feel like the 550 is too complicated a machine to get running right for a new reloader. I'd have lost my sanity and bailed on reloading if I'd have started with a single stage.

Edited by tha1000

...I use both a powder check system and visual checks when possible when loading on my XL650.

So the powder check system should be viewed as an extra check and not relied upon for thoroughly diligent powder verification?

That isn't what I said. I use the powder check whether loading pistol or rifle. But, it is a mechanical system and in theory can fail (it can be improperly adjusted, the battery can fail, etc.). I also visually check my pistol rounds for powder when loading but admittedly, don't check every single one.

If money is not the problem and you can manage to learn base on forums, dillon videos etc. get the 650 for peace of mind it has the powder check and just visually check if you sit the bullet to be safe.

I second to RDA its a mechanical system and has a big possibility of failure as every mechanism does.

You wont go wrong on either press, just learn how every operation works and what you want on each press then decide.

Edited by glocklife34

The 550 is a great press but is limited in options for expanding it later.

You cannot make it auto index

You can add a case feeder but I've heard very mixed reports

To add a bullet feeder you'd have to seat and crimp in one station

I don't see how calibre changes on a 650 take longer than a 550. Both seem the same amount of work to me providing you buy the toolheads or quick change.

One great thing about auto indexing presses for the beginner is they will advance the shell plate each stroke. No chance for you to forget (double charge).

With the 650 when new you can set it up with the powder check. You should still look at each case (it doesn't add any time, you look there to place a bullet). Once you get more confident you can remove the powder check and use that extra station for a bunch of other stuff. Like a bullet feeder. Or run a universal decapper in s1 and a u die in s2. With 5 stations you do have more flexibility in how you setup the tool head.

As you can see I'm a 650 proponent. 550 is a good machine too. Particularly if you do many small batches of many different calibres. But the 650 is a much faster machine.

If I go the 550 route, I wouldn't try to push it beyond what it is. If later I decide I need high-volume reloading, I'll add a 650 and/or a 1050.

I see plenty of reports from guys who find uses for their 550s even though they acquired 650s and 1050s. I do shoot a variety of calibers, both rifle and pistol, so the 550 seems like it would remain a good tool.

And probably the one I should buy first.

Edited by GunBugBit

550 order submitted to Brian. It is the EZ Buy - Never Reloaded - Top Notch package of items, minus a few items I already have.

I was just getting ready to say,"just order one or the other and get to loading!" . lol.

You did good.