Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC 9mm problem !

cecil

Just got my STI DVC 9mm Open after a 6-1/2 wait... it only has a little more than 400 rounds down the barrel at this point...so I started working up a Major load and noticed when I reached 6.5gr Auto Comp using 124gr PD bullets.. not even a major load.... when I noticed that my brass was distorted... upon closer inspection I noticed that the brass was bulged starting at the bottom (rim) kinda like a finger nail design... one of the guys shooting with us... is a gunsmith.. so I asked if he had ever seen this kind of bulging.. he said not to shoot it anymore and he would take it to do a close inspection.. I had brought my old STI major gun so I shot about 50 rounds of the remaining ammo in my older major gun ... NO DISTORTION WHAT SO EVER in my old gun... next day he found out whom ever cut the ramp on my pistol over cut it and the brass is unsupported causing the bulge... He called STI and talked to Zane which instructed us to send them the pistol for inspection.. now the kicker... Zane at STI said they have a back log of 2-1/2 months of warranty work .. so it will be 2-1/2 months before they can look at my brand new DVC... if a new barrel is needed to correct the problem.. they have to fit a new barrel & comp... send it off to get Ti coated... get it back and re-assemble it...

its looking like I won't get my BRAND NEW DVC before the end of the year...... after a 6-1/2 month wait.... get to shoot it less than 500 times... now I won't have it until the end of this year...

to say I am un-happy is an understatement.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bummer... I can't belive the company has such repair backlog... a good business should drop everything and do the repairs, before resuming any new production.

I had an issue with one of my SVI guns - it was taken care of quickly, no wait there, they just jumped at it right away.

Perhaps STI is way too busy with their main line production, but this is a lousy situation.

Edited by Foxbat

Not sure what is going on over at STI. Their attention to customers seems to be fading. Since July 16th I have been trying to get info on whether or not my cracked STI slide would be covered until warranty. Spoke to Randy in the warranty department in the very beginning and he asked that I send pics. Sent pics and heard nothing. Called several times, emailed several times and nobody will respond. Posted a complaint on their Facebook page, have heard nothing.

I feel your pain bought a new open gun (sps vista short) had extraction isues and fail to fire isues right out of the box had a smith look at it found chamber was messed up he said looked like the reamer broke in the chamber causing a bump just off the ledge where it headspaces sent the gun back (only open gun i had) was gone for 7 weeks (all summer) befor i got it back was worth the wait tho runs great now

STI needs to hire some smiths. A 2 1/2 month wait -just ot look at...and may be another 2 - 3 months. UNACCEPTABLE

They should look at it immediately and if the barrel is AFU....they should send you the next available new gun.

I have heard all the problems of STI Open Guns. This is not a new article. All my Open Guns are built by a known Gunsmith. There are many out there. For what a STI DVC Open costs a known Gunsmith could have built your Open Gun. Take a look at the new CK Open Guns. They are built by a good Gunsmith and they work. Again many articles on CK Pistols. I am sorry you are having this problem it is not new to me. Before STI Company was sold they did not have this problem

Sounds like your ramp has been polished/radius to much creating the bulge in the brass. Any pics of the brass. If that is the case, the barrel will need to be replaced. It is easy to remove, but can't be replaced. Very much like the dreaded Glock 40 brass bulge.