Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Promise I'm not trolling.

Ultimo-Hombre

If you want to see Real Tactical Fool, at least watch this, this guys are actually A class shooters and hang out at our local USPSA clubs. This is the real Shite....... As in we went hunting today, but didn't see Shite.

You do realize that was parody, right? Just checking..........

No, these guys are the real thing! I shoot with them occasionally, and they run CZ's, so you know they are righteous dudes. Do you know what kind of skill set it takes to produce videos like that? Their best one ever is "Slice the Pie", just like in IDPA, it's just a game.....

Edited by 9x45

I shot two years of idpa before the past year of uspsa. So these are just my opinions from that short amount of time.

-It seems the majority of people who shoot idpa do so for fun first and foremost. The fun is then justified by saying it's helpful for real life or that it will help them with their ccw skills due to the stress and difficult shots. Most also find it more fun than the square range. A good way to say it as the poster before who said, "idpa can be what you want it to be".

We have a guy near me who says frequently to a certain type of person, "This isn't training, it's testing. Testing do you have a good draw, good movement, good sight picture, good trigger control. If you don't it will show. Take what the results give you, learn from it and then improve yourself through proper practice or professional training."

-Lots of people like it because the number of rounds you shoot and stages and money and time you spend on a Saturday is less than the uspsa matches, at least in my area. People also seem to like the simpler scoring and that it is easier to compare how you did against friends in other divisions.

-People like idpa because they perceive they are spending less on guns and gear. Three mags, two pouches, one belt holster. That's an easier ask for most people that what I see as even the average production set up in uspsa.

-Again, it's my geographic area, but it seems most people who shoot IDPA are older on average than the uspsa shooters. This kinda slows things down and make it less competition driven in attitudes, but maybe not in practice.

-IDPA major matches are easier to get into than big uspsa matches. So if you want to travel and be a competitor you don't have to worry about not making a 5 minute registration window of time or you're on the waiting list.

-Because of the history and development of the rules it does provide a different challenge in the type of shooting one does. Some find this enjoyable some don't. To me, it seems you have to have a more open mind or easy going attitude to bounce back and forth between the two and like participating in both. To me, the rules are not that hard to figure out and follow. If you're open minded and adaptable it is a fun challenge. If you're set in one way of thinking and dogmatic and pissy then it will never be fun.

But to go back to your original question of do the majority of people think it's a game or a real life help I'd say that most people go through stages where they feel one way or the other, changing over time based on their experiences, equipment, friends, results and expectations.

The negatives? A poorly written rule book, range lawyers and a level of subjectivity in officials that would make some olympic ice skating or gymnastics judges proud.

Still, as someone who does bounce back and forth between them I see fun and not-fun things in both. I can only control how I feel and my emotions so that's what I try to do and it makes enjoying both much easier rather than listening to and contributing to all the sniping back and forth.

off topic PS- i heard or read recently someone make the point that idpa is a truer test of pure shooting skill than uspsa. their reason was that with the stage procedure most times the same for everyone the emphasis on running, stage breakdown and memory is reduced. With less emphasis there then the results of one's shooting becomes more important.

I can see the point but I don't fully agree as idpa place to great a limit on target types now, like you'll never shoot a texas star or plate rack on a legal idpa stage now, though you could in previous rule book iterations. Also as someone who has done both I've seen first hand how you can be a great idpa shooter and then only in the middle of uspsa. The people who do really well at the top of idpa also do uspsa and not the other way around.

Edited by rowdyb

Regardless of what the orginial intent of IDPA was it is and always will be a game. Can you improve your non competitive skill sets by shooting IDPA, of course. But the same can be said about USPSA, Steel Challenge, and Bianchi. A lot of people complain about the rules but the real problem is the enforcement of the rules or the random enforcement of the rules. It seems every club has it's own pet rules which are enforced with an almost neurotic passion, while others are ignored making home field advantage tough to overcome if you aren't up to speed on what's forgiven and what's not.

In my area IDPA is generally seen as a haven for n00bs with sausage sack holsters and for old guys who are too slow for USPSA.

I shot one today because there was nothing else going on shooting wise and it was too damn nice to stay at home. It was a nice day and all HOWEVER, some SOs need to buck the hell up and straight up DQ people who can't stop sticking their finger on the trigger when they shouldn't instead of constantly yelling "FINGER".

I really like USPSA's hardcore attitude about safety without concern for who gets butthurt.

We have a guy near me who says frequently to a certain type of person, "This isn't training, it's testing. Testing do you have a good draw, good movement, good sight picture, good trigger control. If you don't it will show. Take what the results give you, learn from it and then improve yourself through proper practice or professional training."

That is somewhat profound.

Personally, if IDPA didn't require membership, I would shoot a match or two every year with my carry gear, just as an excuse to practice (and test myself) with it.

Of course I could also just shoot uspsa matches with my carry gear, from concealment, and the only real issue would be having to carry more mags. Maybe I'll do that this year.

Maybe we just need to put on a uspsa-lite match with 20 rd or less stages, and skip all the goofy pretend-tactical stuff.

As the OP knows, we have pretty good IDPA matches around here, and the folks that shoot them are great folks.

Edited by motosapiens

• 1 month later...

Stumbled on your post... I've shot IDPA, USPSA, Multi-Gun and long range precision over the last 10 years. Also been a part time CCW instructor for several years. I'm very pro-IDPA for new shooters as well as those that are wanting to carry or have a gun for home defense. In my opinion the vast majority of gun owners are just that. They own the guns and maybe shoot them on a static range a few times a year. If I can push them into IDPA, it's a way for them to experience the disorganized/anxious feeling they get and see that their scores blow. This pushes them into being more than just gun owners, they become shooters and seek out additional training. Without the comparison to other shooters, that actually know what they are doing, the average gun owner could go their whole life thinking they were ready for a life threatening experience just because they had a gun.

So that being said, I use it as a tool for others to bring them to reality in terms of their skill level and I also enjoy shooting the matches. It's my belief that all competitive shooting is good training once you have the correctly gun handling skills down. If it gets you some more trigger time with your carry gun that's a bonus. I'll use my carry guns some times, but most the time I'm shooting the same M&P9L that I shoot in USPSA Production with all the same gear. But the biggest thing I think it does it makes you shoot and think, USPSA does the same thing. If you can't shoot and think you don't do either matches very well. The other thing it does is makes you more accurate and faster. There's no getting around the fact that speed and accuracy are tactics that are needed in a real life threatening situation.

My 2 cents...