Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to fix light primer strikes? Xdm 9mm

Canman

If you are running a stock striker spring then you have one of two problems. Either the primers are not seated deeply enough or more likely your striker chanel is in need of a good cleaning. I have had mine gum up to the point of not working so that is now part of my routine maintenance.

How many rounds do you have on the original spring? It might also be a good idea to replace the roll pin with one of the heavy duty aftermarket units and striker spring while you have it apart cleaning the striker channel. Winchester or federal primers are still more reliable even if you find a dirty gun causing the problem.

Another thing to check for, as long as you have it apart, is to ensure that the Firing Pin Safety is really moving out of the way of the Firing Pin during the firing cycle. I had an HS-2000 (the parent gun of the XD and made by the same Croatian company that still makes 'em) that wasn't. If the stars were lined up correctly, it would give the mysterious "light strike". Conventional wisdom said to do all of the above suggestions, which I did. No dice until I found that issue. Fixed it and the gun hasn't puked since.

• 1 month later...

I have a XDM 5.25 with a PRP Extreme Trigger kit and had a few light primer strikes..... The striker channel was in need of a good cleaning. Give the striker and the channel a good cleaning then after give the gun a test. Also do not lube the striker or the channel it's made to run dry all it will do is gum it up faster.

I have a XDM 5.25 with a PRP Extreme Trigger kit and had a few light primer strikes..... The striker channel was in need of a good cleaning. Give the striker and the channel a good cleaning then after give the gun a test. Also do not lube the striker or the channel it's made to run dry all it will do is gum it up faster.

+1 I had the exact same situation and solved it the same way. I think I was not careful when cleaning the gun and got lube into the channel. now I just clean that area with a dry pad.

• 2 months later...