Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some input...S & W cylinder release spring?....

mikeAZ

I 've always thought the stiffness/pressure of the cylinder release was more than needed for competition on the various S & W revolvers I've owned (627's, 929's). I'm not meaning the tiny slide spring inside the revolver. I am familiar with the internals and II have a spare set of most S & W N frame springs/parts. This just isn't as smooth a operation as it could be in for me. (I think the "spring" in question is the one behind the release pin in the cylinder).... I've read that "doming" the pin is helpful...thanks for the input.

In the heavier loads the cylinder can be unlocked by recoil. That spring has to resist the inertia of the thumblatch bar in the frame. On the newer 44 and 45 models there is an additional part operated by an extra long hand pivot pin that blocks the thumblatch bar when the trigger is back. It is a welcome and worthwhile addition to a heavy recoil gun.

Edit: To answer the OP's question - I would not lighten that spring any.

Edited by Toolguy

Thanks for the info thus far, Just shooting minor PF loads...No major loads. Maybe?, S&W errs on the heavy side because of possible magnum loads ????.... Still seems too stiff to me... Oh, well.

Edited by mike NM