Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old hand loads, Thoughts?

redfisher

These are part of an old batch of hand loads from probably 16-17 years ago, I've loaded a lot of major 38 super never seen this issue, primers look fine (these were probably loaded to 182ish). Back then powder was either 3n37 or 540.post-25366-0-86827300-1441057241_thumb.j

Bad Brass? thoughts?

Certain amount of strain on brass when loaded - neck tension - and it finally just failed. Any that aren't cracked would probably be fine to shoot. Possibly only once if the case develops a split like ones shown.

If I had a batch of 38 super with lots of splits like that I'd consider that to be indicative of over pressure.

WW540 (a.k.a. HS-6) and 3N37 is on the faster side of the "slow" powders for 38 super.

As already mentioned, I'd chrono them to see what they are actually pushing. Also, I'd pull a few and measure the bullet weight and see if you recognize the powder and weigh it as a sanity check.

What is the headstamp on the brass? Some brands are more prone to splitting than others and that might be the reason here. I usually get thin hairline cracks on old cases, with only a very few with gaping splits like that with the smoothed out edges (caused by hot escaping gasses).

Well I ended up finding more from that batch (still loaded) that you could actually see cracks in the brass. The brass is WW 38 Super +p. I need to pull some of the cracked ones and check the bullet powder and powder weight. All the bullets were True Flight 130s, a very interesting bullet design from the 90s. I'm really not sure if it is from the same batch, but I have about 8000 pieces of brand new WW+p brass.

If you are finding loaded ammo with cracked cases that would explain the flame cut split. Cull all those out and you will probably be good to go.

Back in the day 130 grain bullets were racy. winchester is generally pretty good brass so it sounds like the brass prep prior to loading just didn't catch the worn out/cracked cases.

Cracked cases are easy to find if you cascade the empty cases back and forth in your hands prior to loading...cracked cases make a tinkling sound that is distinct from good cases. I catch about 95% of my cracked cases this way.

Good Luck!

If you are finding loaded ammo with cracked cases that would explain the flame cut split. Cull all those out and you will probably be good to go.

Back in the day 130 grain bullets were racy. winchester is generally pretty good brass so it sounds like the brass prep prior to loading just didn't catch the worn out/cracked cases.

Cracked cases are easy to find if you cascade the empty cases back and forth in your hands prior to loading...cracked cases make a tinkling sound that is distinct from good cases. I catch about 95% of my cracked cases this way.

Good Luck!

D&J 135's and then 125's were my match bullets back then, But you occasionally won these oddball bullets I for some reason felt obligated to try.

• 2 weeks later...

I first noticed this in some rifle bullets, 270 Win and 30-06, that I loaded back in the '70s. I chalked it up to some form of stress corrosion that caused the case necks to fail since neck tension is what holds the bullet(these bullets had no cannelure). Some cracked just sitting in the boxes others cracked when fired.

In the '90s when I got a Dillon reloader and loaded up everything I had some of it sat around a while and I saw some 45ACP and 40 do the same thing. I started chamber dropping all big match ammo the night before the match, just in case.

I first noticed this in some rifle bullets, 270 Win and 30-06, that I loaded back in the '70s. I chalked it up to some form of stress corrosion that caused the case necks to fail since neck tension is what holds the bullet(these bullets had no cannelure). Some cracked just sitting in the boxes others cracked when fired.

In the '90s when I got a Dillon reloader and loaded up everything I had some of it sat around a while and I saw some 45ACP and 40 do the same thing. I started chamber dropping all big match ammo the night before the match, just in case.

Huh is that something that is exclusive to reloads or will factory ammo do that over time as well?

Huh is that something that is exclusive to reloads or will factory ammo do that over time as well?

I'm not sure but I have only seen it with reloaded ammo. Maybe it primarily occurs with work hardened brass although I have experienced the same type of split cases when shooting some old factory loaded 357 Mag ammo which split almost to the rim when fired..

Edited by RPatton

• 3 weeks later...