Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 in California

Yoteru

At risk of sounding like a wise a$$. Which is not the intent.....

Look at the governing body rule book. I've been referring to the IDPA and USPSA. Rule books which are easily found on line.

I'm currently working on my tactical not shadow. Not sure what you mean by standard. Either decocker or safety version...l

The double action package

Reduced weight .Hammer spring , extended lightweight firing pin, reduced weight FPB block spring and new firing pin spring.

I'm pretty sure is all "production legal".

Rounded off back of frame where it contacts hammer. And initial upper polish job ..... All production legal as far as I know....

Im switching out 85c trigger without viisble set screw.......

There is a production legal hammer available from CGW and I'm sure cZC. But is a "secret menu" item available,by phone @cgw

If you read the CGW web site there is a lot of info on "production" legal. When in doubt I'll ask here then speak with Dave at CGW before ordering.

I do recall ... Along the lines of. You cannot disable safety.... You can use stock parts from other production guns.

I'm sure I'll get flamed here but before working on reset, REach reduction, disco, fpb vs no fpb......take up .....shoot the mess out of it. Shoot it with a timer ..... Then decide. I'm not saying that stuff isnt cool just not abloutley necessary.

http://www.idpa.com/misc/

http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb%202014%20Handgun%20Rules.pdf

Edited by biglou13

ps yoteru

welcome to the board.

Don't be shy if you have any questions along the way please ask.

i used to live in the people republik of kalifonia.

in your research the safety model sku 01152 (low capacity) will have firing pin block, firing pin block spring, you'll find lots of opinions regarding.

After thinking about it, I guess what I really wanted to ask was this: Can a CA SP01 (01152) be made just as good as a shadow while keeping it production legal? Or is it more worth it to wait for one to pop up used in CA?

My understanding of the Production rules is external mods to frame are strictly prohibited. Appendix D4, 21, right column, last sentence. "If the shooter CANNOT {emphasis added} identify an authorizing rules-clause or published interpretation, the RM shall rule that the modification is PROHIBTED for Production use and shall move the shooter to Open Division." There is no rule saying you can mod the frame. There might be an interpretation.

I shoot what started as a stock SP01. Changes from stock: trigger job, low profile fixed sights, polish internal components, competition hammer, extended firing pin and reduced power spring, grips, and reduced tension FPB spring.

After thinking about it, I guess what I really wanted to ask was this: Can a CA SP01 (01152) be made just as good as a shadow while keeping it production legal? Or is it more worth it to wait for one to pop up used in CA?

If I get another one it will be a California legal gun.

Not because it needs to be but because I prefer the gun with fpb & cgw lifter & reduced power fpb spring to my other non fpb gun. I also like the ability to tweak single action weight by playing with fpb springs, haven't done it so far but I like having that tool in the box for when I get federal primers loaded & switch to minimum power hammer spring for minimum da pull. I do not do well with extremely light single action pull weight.

The experts I have looked to (CGW on the phone and reading kneelingatlas here) have told me that if you can tell a difference then it is still a crapshoot on which you will prefer.

I just wanted to throw in that I have a stock SP-01 that I worked over with Atlas's guide as well as an ACCU-Shadow.

I did everything I could to the SP-01, all the polishing, short reach trigger, lighter springs and comp hammer. The ACCU Shadow I gave a light polish internally.

My SP-01 breaks at 3.5lbs SA, my ACCU breaks at 4lbs. DA is about a pound or two lighter with the SP-01 as well. The trigger has a longer reset but otherwise is better.

So buy yourself a stock SP-01 and don't worry about it

Flying chipmunk. Agree. Shoot an SP01 with virtually identical mods as you. Didn't replace trigger. My trigger pull is right at 2 lbs. use 8.5 lb CGW main spring. Last year at nationals shot with a gentleman shooting basic SP01 with mods. Pistol is IPSC legal. DA was a tad over 5 lbs. SA 1 lb.

... many CA dealers also selling the SP-01 with SKU starts with '9', but blocking the mags to 10 (only difference between the '0' and the '9' sku), and they are comfortable selling as roster compliant. I think at least three dealers here in Northern California that I've seen them at recently that way. Good luck and have a LOT of fun with your new CZ when you get it!

Who said anything about modifying the frame?

Biglou13 said he rounded off the back of the frame. Pretty sure that would be not production compliant.

see professor's post http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191773third post down... its not a visible mod. but i never considered if its a rule violation..... back of slide..... its same spot as firing pin stop on 1911..... im going to have check the rule books

Rounded off back of frame where it contacts hammer.

Pretty sure you meant to say 'slide', not 'frame - you are rounding off the sharp lip between underside of slide, and backside of slide, where the hammer rides to cock the hammer. Both that point, as well as portion of hammer that rides on the slide will naturally wear/polish over time.

Iim about $250 in and almost finished. I m trying to figure what you added/ changed and bought from Dave. to get to $600?

Pro package is $426 with cgw labor?

I had David assemble the hammer, disconnector, strut assembly and thats an extra $30.

574895a6-1f67-4ad8-baec-681676f2a691_zps

Plus I got the Shadow mag release, flat mainspring plug, sights, 85c combat trigger plus the aluminum grips which are not on either invoice. I think the total is just shy of $600.

f8bf1ff3-8b69-4342-b302-b5f4749251af_zps