Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli thumb

chp5

It is when your thumb gets caught between the shell you are loading into the magazine and the lifter. The lifter rides up on your thumb where the cuticle and nail meet, and rips a big honkin' piece of skin off. It does hurt, I can tell you and bleeds quite a bit! The fix is to have someone weld up the lifter, so that it extends so that it almost comes in contact with the magazine tube. Beven Grams of Grams Engineering does this.

-David

Pat Kelly in Kansas/Oklahoma also welds them up! He did mine and it is a work of art. I think he charges $50.00 for this service and it is well worth it. I know he did a big batch of them for Mid South shooting Academy. His turn around time is usually 1 week as opposed to Bevins 4-5 weeks ( he is busy tuning mags and I REALLY RECOMEND THIS SERVICE from Bevin).

Here is some info for you guys that are extending the lift gate to help solve "the Benelli thumb". There is more work that needs to be done to the gun if you don't want feeding problems. The notch in the end of the lift gate, (that your thumb is getting stuck on) is there to help guide the nose of the shell to the chamber. When you fill it in and extend it, shells will have a tendency to feed more eratic, sometimes trying to feed into the extractor notch in the barrell or even out the ejection port. This becomes worse if you are holding the gun with the ejection port toward the ground. When I extend the lift gate, the extention is not flat, but curved, and to help the shell get into the chamber, I do some extensive blending of the chamber entry so the shell won't get stuck on square corners. This issue was the first of many problems that I ran into when modifying the M1. So, modify'ers beware.

One of the things I tried (while experimenting with a Benelli) is shortening the shell carrier, like I do on a Browning Gold. With that being said, I had to bend the carrier so the mag tube feed angle didn't change. It seems to work real well, and of course, being shorter, your thumb doesn't get caught. Feeding into the chamber still works just fine.

lifter3.jpg

This is how I modified my lifter in order to stop "Benelli thumb". I had to do no other mod's with regards the feeding, to the gun whats so ever. As I kept the angle that the lifter, lifts the same - I have had no feeding problems what so ever.