Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for any MD that as run a level II match

Nimitz

I would say pretty common. I did not shoot mine in '13 because I thought I would be too busy. As it turned out I really wasn't so I should have shot it. You won't do as well since you will be doing other match related stuff while trying to shoot the match but still should be able to take a crack at it.

ok thx. Obviously if the match is planned for a Fri-Sun you'd plan to have match staff shoot on Thursday when there are no other competitiors shooting but I was wondering if was something that was frowned upon ...

ok thx. Obviously if the match is planned for a Fri-Sun you'd plan to have match staff shoot on Thursday when there are no other competitiors shooting but I was wondering if was something that was frowned upon ...

Not at all. One of my favorite RM's however, never shoots the major he works because it would possibly be a conflict since he is the guy making the scoring call. That, I can understand. With the MD having no real "scoring authority" such as the RM I can't imagine it being a problem.

At SC State this year the match staff shot on Friday along with regular Friday shooters. We had our own staff squad and would shoot whenever a bay was available. For 2016 we're planning to have a separate staff shooting day so that we can dedicate 100% to our shooting and then 100% to putting on the best match we can.

yeah, I figured the MD shouldn't be any real issue unlike the RM. I don't like the idea of having staff shoot on the same day as competitors, too much distraction. I would simply plan to have them shoot the day before . It's not like the staff consists of 80 people and requires an entire day of shooting ....

For a Steel Challeneg match you're looking at 16 RO's plus maybe 10-15 other staff so a couple of 10-person squads and you can knock it out ...

Yes that would be ideal but every major match I have shot there were always competitors on staff shoot days. Surprisingly some top shooters want to if there is another major the same weekend. Seems they shoot the smaller of the two on Friday and shoot the big one on Sat/Sun. I had around 50 staff for my state match so we really limited regular competitors to keep it manageable. Around 20 staff shooters would be fun on staff day!

agreed. It will obviously depend what's going on during that same time. Depending on the total number of staff expected we could certainly open up a few slots on that same day to fill up whatever number of squads we had planned. And if we only had a total of 30 staff I could see having 4 or 5 squads of 10 & allow 10-20 others to shoot on staff day as well ...

I have run all levels of majors and I almost always shoot the stages. But I do not walk the prize table, or in some cases I give my walk to a junior. In steel challenge with prescribed stages, it would not bother me at all for the RM or MD to shoot and walk.

Appreciate that Mark. I'm a big fan of random draw prize tables for the rank & file shooters & guaranteed prizes for the winners/top finishers for many reasons so I couldn't see anyone complaining that the MD got a shot at the prize table like everyone else ...

Appreciate that Mark. I'm a big fan of random draw prize tables for the rank & file shooters & guaranteed prizes for the winners/top finishers for many reasons so I couldn't see anyone complaining that the MD got a shot at the prize table like everyone else ...

As long as the MD is not doing the drawing. At least thats how I feel about it. I did not include myself in any of the MAJOR random draws such as guns. We had many. I just don't want even the slightest hint of skullduggery going on. I drew all the winners before the match actually started so things would go much smoother at registration. That is also the way I see it done everywhere I have shot so far as well. I have been to a major where the MD actually won two guns through random draw and it just didn't seem "right". He didn't pick his own name but still, my name would not have even been in the bucket.

I would do the random draw by having someone pick out numbered tickets and randomly taping them to prizes. Then I'd have someone else randomly draw the same set of tickets out of a bucket & include that ticket with each shooter's registration pkg. The shooter could then come by the scoring shack & pick up their prize by presenting their ticket anytime during the match ... no waiting for after awards are done on the last day so if you couldn't hang around you could still pick up your prize at any time ...

I have served as the MD and RM at several Level 2 matches and shot them as well. Most of the time the MD/RM will shoot the match along with the rest of the match staff on their designated day of shooting. There were a few times where MD or RM duties kept me from shooting all of the stages on the match staff shooting day and I would simply wait until there was a lull in the MD/RM duties on other days and shoot through the remaining stages as needed. I don't know about the other MD's or RM's out there, but when I am tasked with serving in that capacity shooting the actual stages is one of the lowest priorities on the list. That being said, I have never had a "Good" match shooting performance when tasked with MD or RM duties. But I realistically don't care because ensuring the match happens properly and smoothly is my top priority.

As for the Prize table situation, I fully agree that as an MD its best to remove yourself from the high $$$ awards drawings. It sucks to lose out on an opportunity to win a nice prize, but that is cheap compared to others thinking some kind of unethical shenanigans are going on if you did get your name pulled in a random drawing. If the prizes are awarded based on match performance, then I am all for match staff accepting what they have earned.

Good luck with your match!!!

appreciate all the feedback .... I'm still very early in the concept exploration phase of this since as you all know better than I, you need a dedicated core group of volunteers to pull this off and I'm not sure I have anywhere near the number of volunteers to try and do this. Also, as MD if vounteers fall by the wayside I'd have to pick up all the duties no matter how much work it was and I'm not sure I'm willing to take on something like this so we'll see ...

Edited by Nimitz

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think it is uncommon to shoot your own match. As many stated above most of the COIs come from the RM for the match. I do agree the match director basically has to take a step back at the prize table as they would the possible place a COI would come from. I think just know going in even as a match director with things going smooth, you still will be so busy it will be hard to focus when you go to shoot. I generally accept a little poorer performance when I am a MD as my mind is thinking about other things than executing a stage. I also think if you put that much work into a match as an MD that you should get to at least enjoy it the best you can.