Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Schedule like a Gym schedule?

Dutchman195

Its been discussed before. But looking to expand my training and routine. Much like a person who attends the gym three days a week and works on different things.

Say in a week you had 300 rnds and can get to the range 3 times. What would be the best way to expend the ammo and what drills would you shoot?

It really depends on your skill level.

Me personally I work on a lot of accuracy drills in training (2@25, 2@50, bill drill and 4 aces at 25&50)

I also do some closer 7-10 yard transition drills (Blake drill).

There are always more drills I run, but sone or all of these are usually "standard"

I will do this 2 out of 4 training sessions per month, the other 2 sessions will be set up more like stages, or parts of stages.

200-300 rounds per session.

Don't forget to work on your strong areas in training along with your "needs work" stuff.

Edited by Nickb45

100 rds for a live fire session is not that much. Typical drills are usually 4-6 shots/rep and if you do just 2 drills in a session that's only 1o reps for each drill assuming you don't do any standard warm-ups like 25 yd group shooting, etc. Also, a single rep of a very important drill like the Dot Drill requires 36 rds for only 1 rep .... If you only have 300 rds/week to expend I'd do 2x/week live fire at 150 rs each & at least 5x/dry fire. 90% of all skills can be learned and perfected in dry fire. Live is used to confirm what you'd done in dry fire.

I start with dry fire until I'm relaxed and focussed, then do some precision drills first (dot drill), then push for speed (e.g. bill drill at various distances) and at the end do some things typically encountered in matches (various starting positions, strong hand only, target transitions...). By varying the last part I always focus on one topic I have to work on and try to revisit one other I'm not struggling with (e.g. reload). Saul Kirsch in his books has a pretty nice list of skills required for practical shooting, I use that and refine my levels after each match.

Personally I think it would be more beneficial to train two times a week and 500 rounds.

If I had only 100 rounds per live fire session, I would Try to isolate skills.

Just two examples:

Two shots on target while leaving position.

Two shots on target entering position.

You can come up with many more.

Think about what you want to work on and come up with some drills. Always have a plan when you go to the range. If you work on these drills in DF before hitting the range you will get greater benefit from them, and save ammo in the process.

I would work 2/3 on the stuff I suck most at, and 1/3 on the other stuff.

I usually shoot 200-250 rounds in a range session, but sometimes more. From time to time I'll want to fit in a quickie at lunch and only work on 1 or 2 things for 100 rounds tho.

Usually a simple drill with a steel plate or a single target.

I figure by the time I pack, drive to the range, set up targets, shoot, drive home from the range, unpack, i've used alot of time and effort for only 100 rounds.

no way I'd take the time to drive to the range, set up, unpack my gear, etc, to only shoot 100 rounds. I rarely shoot more than 200 in a session, but 100 seems like a waste of effort. Maybe if your range is in your back yard it would work...

I can always use more dry fire. That is a very weak area of mine. How many rounds would you say would be a average practice amount in one session or per week for a average B class shooter? (Talking about myself) Technically the range isn't exactly in my backyard but close enough that I can fall into it from there.

Strong hand weak hand I feel would be about 100 rounds for the day before I'd get overly frustrated with myself. Otherwise I like 25 yd 3 or 5 round groups, Dot drill and transitions.

I don't think the average B shooter practices............ I think they may shoot some here and there other than matches, or they may think about shooting but I don't think the average one Practices.

When people mention "Dry fire" it brings up images of standing in your living room aiming at light switches. Most of my dry fire practice is performed at the range. Every movement, draw, positioning, engagement, etc. drill that I train is done through dry fire exercises. This is because 90% of my live fire practice is done to maintain my "Shot calling" (Bill drills etc.). The other 10% is done to verify that my dry fire training is working.

Shot calling is one of, if not THE most important things to learn as soon into your competitive shooting life as possible. If I can call my shots then I don't need to use live ammo to practice box entries or transitions because I know if my sight is there the hit is there.

In an average 3 hour practice session I'll shoot about 50-75 rounds.

Example; I have my shooting partner set up an 18 round course with some movement and box positions and I run it dry over and over. At the end I'll run it live fire. Just like stage prepping at USPSA/IPSC match.

There's a term in the sports world that also rings very true in competitive shooting, "Practice like you play".

But, in the end this is what works for me. Everyone is different so take something from all the replies here and other advise you get and figure out what works best for you.

Good luck and have fun.

Edited by Bigbadaboom