Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lost confidence in RCBS 505 scale, what should I replace it with?

Back in January I noticed a problem with my 505 scale. I sent it back to RCBS, they acknowledged the problem was precisely as I had described, and mailed a brand new replacement scale. Kudos to them for taking care of a customer :)

The problem with the scale was that it would give a different reading if the end loop hanging off the balance beam was positioned in a different place in its notches every time a measurement was taken. I have pictures of this if anyone is interested.

I got back to reloading about a week ago after a hiatus. Unfortunately, the brand new replacement 505 scale RCBS sent is exhibiting precisely the same problem. Again, kudos to RCBS for trying to take care of the problem, but I no longer have confidence in any RCBS 505 scale.

I attempted to correct the problem by cleaing with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs, trying it on a known completely level surface away from fluorescent lights and air currents. Nevertheless, the problem persisted.

I want to get a replacement scale. I am looking really hard at electronic scales. I won't completely rule out another balance beam, but I don't trust the concept at this point, so it would have to be something well established to be extremely repeatable and not sensitive to loosely held parts shifting around a bit as they will tend to do.

Edited by jamesp81

I have an electronic scale that I got from Brain a few years ago with his 550b kit and a Dillon balance beam. I check them against each other and so far they have always matched. I also have a Lee balance beam but for some reason I just can't read it properly.

The loop where you hang the powder pan should swing freely on the studs...it is the same on scales in this "family" manufactured by Ohaus (RCBS 502, 505, Dillon Eliminator)...make sure it is not "squeezed" tight on the beam so it is unable to swing free...to have the same issue on two different scales is unusual at best...the 505 is the scale that most are measured by for accuracy...you might to check this and spread the loop if necessary to put it back in service...

As far as what to replace it with...the digital scale from Brian has a good satisfaction record or the Dillon Determinator.

Edited by BisleyBlackhawk

The problem with the scale was that it would give a different reading if the end loop hanging off the balance beam was positioned in a different place in its notches every time a measurement was taken. I have pictures of this if anyone is interested.

Pictures would help.

Edited by hrh

Pictures would help.

End loop positioned to the left:

15p3j2c.jpg

End loop positioned to the right:

2ecof8o.jpg

If I have the loop positioned to the left, as in the first picture, and then I move the loop over to the right, as shown in the second picture, the scale weighs about 0.3gr lighter. This is reliably repeatable. These pictures are from my original 505 that I sent in, but my new one is exhibiting precisely the same behavior.

I noticed the problem when I started spot weighing my charges and they weren't coming in consistently. I bet I spent 2 weeks trying to figure out what was wrong with my powder measure before I thought to check if the scale was the problem. Even after deciding to look at the scale, it took a little while to figure this one out.

The loop can otherwise move freely in its slots. Furthermore, if I zero the scale and then ensure that the loop doesn't shift anywhere in its slots, it does weigh accurately. Confirmed by weighing a 158gr 357 plated bullet twice. I started with the loop in the left position, zeroed, and the bullet weighed in at 157.8gr. Removed the bullet, moved the loop to the right hand position, rezeroed, then weighed the bullet again. Came in at 157.8gr. So it is weighing consistently once zeroed as long as nothing shifts around even a little bit. So I think I can still use it, but it is a layer of aggravation.

Edited by jamesp81

The loop where you hang the powder pan should swing freely on the studs...it is the same on scales in this "family" manufactured by Ohaus (RCBS 502, 505, Dillon Eliminator)...make sure it is not "squeezed" tight on the beam so it is unable to swing free...to have the same issue on two different scales is unusual at best...the 505 is the scale that most are measured by for accuracy...you might to check this and spread the loop if necessary to put it back in service...

As far as what to replace it with...the digital scale from Brian has a good satisfaction record or the Dillon Determinator.

Loop definitely swings freely and easily.

Any beam will read slightly different if the loop is in a different orientation or if the pan is in different location or if you pile all the weight to one side of the pan.

Does the loop move on its own or are you playing with it and finding this out?

Even an electronic scale can read different if you put all the weight to one side of the pan.

The first thing to do is talk to RCBS and see if this level of difference is normal or not.

Never had a problem with my 5-0-10, or whatever it was (5-0-5 body and -10 beam), but I quickly replaced it with the very first affordable digital that came out in the '70s--still have the digital and have no idea what I did with the beam.

I first got the RCBS 1010 beam scale it works very well but it's SLOW. Used it for two to three years. Than I picked up a Lyman LPS 1200 digital scale used. When not using the new XL 650 I use the Lyman LPS 1200 digital and use the RCBS 1010 to check the Lyman LPS when doing load development.

The RCBS 1010 was my rock in the beginning.

HotRod

So .. what happens if you open up the loop a bit as to barely touch the outside of the notch on both sides? That would end up placing the loop at the same spot every time, no?

Oddly, I never really had problems weighing charges consistently and I'm a cheap dude. I use a Jennings JS-50 scale and a Lee beam scale. Whenever I need to check loads, I zero both with check weights, weight my charges on both, and keep going. My biggest timer saver when weighing charges has been replacing the Dillon powder bar adjustment screws with the Uniquetek micrometer doohickey, because I rather have consistent throws then measuring every single charge.

get a RCBS 1500 Load Master... best scale I have ever used.... fast - accurate ... easy to use.. you won't regret buying it...

^^^ THIS !!! I have not used a beam scale since I got mine. Best thing since sliced bread.

Powder check weights are a must,seconds confirm your drops leads you to quick piece of mind.

I own a rcbs 5 10 and is always accurate and dependable but a little slow.

I also own a Lyman accutouch 2000 and love that fast and accurate.

I will always have a good beam scale.

I will always have powder check weights.

• 1 month later...

I read the OP and checked my 505.

I noticed that the hooks on your loop are square with the beam. The rear hook on mine is twisted about 20 degrees and it has been that way about 40+ years.

No matter where I position the loop or the object being weighed the scales never vary by more than .05 grains. I have a 20grain weight and a 1OZ weight I use to check the scale and it is always the same.

Edited by RPatton