Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" vs 5" Slide

bayoupirate

I thought there was a thread, but I haven't been able to find it.

I'm considering a 6" STI. I'd like to hear pros and cons of the gun.

I've already shot one and like the increased sight radius.

Can the slide be lightened to make it feel more like a 5" gun?

Please share your personal experiences.

I'd really like to hear from people who actually have 6" guns or have considered them and shot them in competition.

Appreciate the Help.

I am a new shooter, that has a 6" STI with and SV slide. The slide has been skeletonized with no dust cover on the frame. It is very light, and according to Lovestoshoot, it is lighter than his 5". Although he likes a heavier gun and can shoot like nobodys business. Another master shooter at a match shot mine and really liked how light it was but felt that the slide took a bit longer to retract from shot to shot. Dunno, as I shot his and it hefted like a tank and the felt impulse was greater, but that could be his loads. Some claim the heavier 5" dips too much and if you lighten the slide you run into cycling problems. Dunno.

I purchased the gun from www.triangleshootingsports.com aka Benny Hill and he lengthened the cuts on the side to match the top cut. Great gunsmith, great product. There is alot to be said about shooting a few flavors to see what suits you. I played around with getting a 5" but was told by Scott to reward myself when I get to where I want to be shooting wise, then I will truly know what I want in a gun from the innards to the outards. I am changing the front site from a thin fiber to a thicker post type so I can align a bit faster as it was "swimmin'" in that longer slide. Shoots lights out with a Schuemann barrel classic, aftec extractor, egw sear, clark guide rod and ISMI springs blah blah blah. Hope this helps.

Regards

Some like them, some don't. Some shoot better with them, some don't. The only way to tell is to try one, and if that means buying it, then you're in for an expensive experiment. I wish I could give you hard and fast advice, but on this subject there isn't any yet.

I am not expert by any means. I have shot my friend's 6 inch (regular frame)several times, even in a match. I noticed that the muzzle flip was significantly less than my 5 extended frame STI.

I actually shot a pretty good match with it. I liked the way my sights returned. It was a real pleasure to shoot. I am not good enough to really notice if the slide seemed slower. I have shot .20 splits with it. I did notice that my movements from target to target were more measured in tempo.

That said, I really do favor my 5 inch extended frame gun. Everthing is very managable. I did notice the difference when the sprinco was installed. Long shots do not bother me, so the sight radius is not an issue with me.

Some people really like the longer sight radius of the 6 inch gun. I am indifferent to that aspect.

I concur with the others that recommend trying both gun types out-several times. See which one fits your style of shooting or which one you want to adopt your style of shooting to which gun.

I have and sometimes shoot a full dust cover S_I 5" bull barrell gun

I have and sometimes shoot a standard dust cover S_I 5" bull barrell gun

I have a S_I 6" 37.5 oz lightned standard bushing barrell gun that I shoot 99% of the time.

Sandoz said it all. :)

It will take some $$'s to find the answer to your own question. There is no right answer to the question because its all personal preference....gets back to the age old questions of who makes the best gun.

Some quotes that I've heard along the shooting trail that help answer these type of questions include:

- - Its not the arrow - its the archer!

- - By the time you shoot 50k rounds something should have clicked!

- - There are only 2 things that really matter...BE's writings cover this in his book! Do you know what they are?

I have a bunch of trigger time on a 6 inch and on 5 inch guns. The only advantages to the longer barrel are a bit less powder to make major and the longer sighting radius. With my vision, the extra inch was nice, but I don't know if the advantage was real or between my ears.

Doesn't matter.  Pick one and practice.

I agree with this.

From Bountyhunter. Stock gun?

"I have a six inch longslide. Compared to my 5's, I think the 6" feels nose heavy. The balance just feels wrong. YMMV. Did not see a significant difference in accuracy."

My experiences...

My SV heavy 5" bull barrel rotates to the front when balanced at slide stop pin.

My SV standard dust cover 5" bull barrel feels and balances neutral when balanced at slide stop pin.

My STI (lightened slide) standard dust cover 6" bushing barrel rotates to the rear when balanced at slide stop pin.

From Ron

"I have a bunch of trigger time on a 6 inch and on 5 inch guns. The only advantages to the longer barrel are a bit less powder to make major and the longer sighting radius. With my vision, the extra inch was nice, but I don't know if the advantage was real or between my ears."

I agree with this also.

As always - YMMV

Stock gun?

"I have a six inch longslide. Compared to my 5's, I think the 6" feels nose heavy. The balance just feels wrong. YMMV. Did not see a significant difference in accuracy."

" Stock gun?"

Yes, both are stock STI Trojans, one 5" one 6". Obviuosly, it could be possible to grind off enough material from the 6" slide to improve the balance. Mine is just a regular slide.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay Guys,

Got the GUN. STI frame, STI 6" Slide, Briley Bushing, Bo-Mar Sights, SV Grips w/grit finish, Gun did Feel Great on Recoil but had a nose diping from the momentum of the slide moving forward. Cut down the slide. Removed material to flatten the top and Angles on the sides. Slide now lighter than the Dawson Patriot 5". Swings and shoots like a 5". So Far, I like it alot. It has been a very radical transition from a Glock 20 to this gun, but I'm adapting.

If I can figure how to put a photo up here, I will.

In talking with Mike Voigt about it, he prefers the feel/look of the 5-inch L/W dustcover gun in recoil (as do I), but the sight radius increase with a 6-inch gun makes questionable longer distance shots good. I was thinking about trying out a 5-inch gun, but Mike said the only reason he's shooting his 5-incher is 'cause of WSXIV. Take that FWIW.