Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Tape vs. Stippling?

zhunter

When I put grip tape on the front and back straps I tuck it under the grips, usually replace it once a year, wears out before it moves. I use the VZ aggresive checkers for grip panels.

When I put grip tape on the front and back straps I tuck it under the grips, usually replace it once a year, wears out before it moves. I use the VZ aggresive checkers for grip panels.

I love the VZ's, but I'm inquiring because I need to get a more aggressive grip on my P-09 for CO

I prefer stippling over grip tape. You never have to worry about it peeling/sliding off and aggressiveness is determined by depth and pattern of the stipple. The only drawback is the stippling will wear over time and it will lose its aggressiveness. Unlike grip tape it cannot be replaced. Maybe try the grip tape first and try and get your hands on a stippled P-09.

I prefer stippling over grip tape. You never have to worry about it peeling/sliding off and aggressiveness is determined by depth and pattern of the stipple. The only drawback is the stippling will wear over time and it will lose its aggressiveness. Unlike grip tape it cannot be replaced. Maybe try the grip tape first and try and get your hands on a stippled P-09.

Yep, stippling will lose its "tooth" over time. Over the winter I re-stipple my grips to bring back the aggressiveness. I use a pencil tip on my iron when I stipple so going over it again in worn spots simply refreshes it instead of changing it.

I made a paper template and then cut out 1 wrap around piece of skate tape for my p09. I love it.

My 40 TS got a grip reduction and checkered front and back 20lpi with vz grips.

SP01s get front and back skate tape with rubber for me and vz for my boys smaller hands.

1911 wears the vz operator 2s with 20lpi front and back checkered.

I would try the skate tape first because you can always remove if you don't like them. I have never had my skate tape move or fall off but I do have to be careful with the brake cleaner.

I do glue and grit jobs to get it a bit more aggressive than standard grip tape but it doesn't shift and doesn't wear out.

It feels a lot better to me than most of the stippling jobs.

Try grip tape first. I found the key to keeping it in place is in the prep. Clean the grip with a good gun cleaner, then once that is completely dry (hit it with a hair dryer to make sure) go back over the grip with rubbing alcohol and let that dry. Next put on the grip tape and press it firmly down, get the hair dryer and heat up the grip tape and press it down again.

I prefer grip tape because it is replaceable as it wears down.

My P09 has tape and provides lots of purchase. If you clean the surface with alcohol, prior to taping, it'll stick nicely and won't move.

75D94D17-C418-441E-A480-8B88E07C4DDE_zps

Even before I'd went full panels, these strips had stayed in place.

0134FE99-314C-4DEC-86B6-9246A22AEBA9_zps