Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching 9mm 147 grn to flat point?

biglou13

I've been shooting blue bullet 147 grn. Cz has short chamber. And the 147 RN complicates issues.

Some one here mentioned the 147 flat point. I'm thinking I can get a way with longer coal.

These bullets have groove at base. What effect does groove have?

Has any one shot both 147 RN. And 147 flat. Any difference in feel or accuracy? Any loading issues?

My choice is Black and Blue Bullets, I tried both the 147 RN and the 147 Semi Wadcutter out of a Stock 2.

The shoulder of the RN contacted the rifling at a considerably shorter OAL than the SWC, leading to a higher incidence of bulging cases. I prefer the SWC, it has the lube groove and it has no effect on accuracy or loading.

Not a CZ owner, but I've shot both from my XDm 9mm 5.25" and haven't noticed any real differences. I'm probably not that discerning, however.

I've experienced no issues after loading about 1200 of them thus far. I don't think the groove affected my process or finished product. I am thinking about getting a different vendor's NLG FP 147's just for kicks.

I like the cleaner holes on paper from the 147 FP.

I'm shooting plated 147grn flatpoints in my Shadow. Have shot probably about 13k of them now. OAL of about 1.100 is about the longest that will properly chamber. I generally load to 1.095 and then even the longest outliers still cycle.

SNS grooveless coated 147gr. Great bullet.

OAL at 1.13" and shoots great from all of my 9s, including my CZ SP01.

I second the SNS 147 gr flat points. I can load these longer than the round nose 147 gr bullets from Blue Bullets and Black Bullets International. Supposedly, the lack of lube groove is a benefit because of the longer bearing surface.

Accuracy with all three manufacturers is excellent, but the flat points make nice, clean holes on paper. I prefer the SNS bullets because they feed better in the bullet feeder die I'm using. The coating on the SNS bullets is smoother and more uniform.

I shoot 147s. I can't tell the feel or accuracy differences between the 147 RN or FP bullets from Blue Bullets. I load the RN to 1.09 and the FP to 1.12. These are as long as I can load for my Shadow. I prefer to use the FPs for 2 reasons.

The FPs make nicer holes in paper/cardboard targets.

The FPs don't load quite as deep into the case. Different head stamps have different depths where the case wall starts thickening. I can load the FPs into more head stamps and still get them to case gauge.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is the absolute best answer. Once the barrel has been reamed it won't matter what kind of bullet you use you don't have to seat them too deeply or worry about loading short for this gun and long for another gun. I did this until I tired from it and had ALL of my barrels reamed so ALL of my ammo will work in any of my guns. For $30.00 it sure makes life uncomplicated.

who do you send your barrels to ?

how did it affect accuracy?

it there a standard amount they ream?

i ended up ordering a 500 pack of blue bullets 147 gn flat points to test....

but sns is next on list

Edited by biglou13

Dawson Precision did the first few for me then I purchased a reamer from Manson and did the rest myself. It takes about 20 minutes if you take your time and I cannot see any effect on the accuracy before and after at all. Now I load all of my rounds as long as the magazines will take or as short as I want without worry. How much depends on how long you want to load. I made sure that all of my 9mm's would at least accept a 1.135 OAL with a 147 grain bullet. I did run into a problem with the XD/XDm barrels because they are so hard, These I had to send Dawson because my reamer would not cut them. If you send your barrel to someone to do this be sure to send some dummy rounds with the bullets and OAL you expect to shoot. LWD does an excellent job reaming and throating their own barrels.

any competent gun smith can do this. brownells and midway sell the tool as well if you're patient and handy.

i've noticed zero effect on accuracy or power factor but definitely less frustration at the loading bench.

• 3 months later...

I haven't push tested that particular bullet in a Glock. I've never found a bullet, that I have tested in a Glock, that the magazine wasn't more limiting than the barrel.

This thread has some good stuff in it on how to find the max length for loading for a particular barrel. I suspect that the magazine will be limiting for Glock.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.0