Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium springs

bret

• 4 months later...

Hello: Some things are just not good for spring material. I remember when a race team I knew was testing titanium valve springs. Worked great for a little while then they would drop a valve and hole a piston. They did in about 10 engines before they gave up testing. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Some things are just not good for spring material.

​They are SVI (Infinity) springs. I guess all the SVI owners have guns with poor springs? :devil:

I prefer them for light trigger pulls, 1 1/2 and below. YMMV.

People that don't like them usually don't install them correctly, they're not drop in. Their one fault is the ball occasionally falls out of the tri-glide sear spring, but it works fine without it.

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: Some things are just not good for spring material.

​They are SVI (Infinity) springs. I guess all the SVI owners have guns with poor springs? :devil:

I prefer them for light trigger pulls, 1 1/2 and below. YMMV.

People that don't like them usually don't install them correctly, they're not drop in. Their one fault is the ball occasionally falls out of the tri-glide sear spring, but it works fine without it.

YMMV

Out curiosity, why are they not drop in... What needs to be done to them to make them run right?

STI changed the cut out in the grip where the sear spring sits. It now has a ridge to make it narrower. Either the SVI spring needs to be narrowed or the ridge removed from the grip.

The SVI springs typically come with the legs perfectly straight. The leaf that rides on the disconnector needs to have the correct bow bent into it so the hammer strut doesn't contact it.

The tab that holds the spring in place in the grip needs to be fitted (bent and/or trimmed). This tab is brittle and will break if not done correctly.

I put one in my 2011 in 2001. Its still there and I love it. Its so light and delicate to touch, I have expected it to fail but obviously it hasn't yet. If it did, I'd be buying another.

Its hard to describe, but I can't match the feel with a steel spring

P.D.