Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

leaving lead behind

tcazes

Lol 330 hasn't been on the market in forever so I'm assuming he hoarded it

I did talk to a tech at Lapua, And was told by this tech that They still make N330. But isn't on the market because of the current powder situation, That was about a yr. ago. I think because its the best of the best 9mm powders and is being used up for ammo used by our troops. In their issued M9s. Just my 2 cents!

Edited by ghost21

slugged my barrel today. 3 different times. all got .3555 every single time. sounds like my barrel is right on spec. my 135 bayous are .356 consistently so i know I'm not undersized. idk what the deal is.

slugged my barrel today. 3 different times. all got .3555 every single time. sounds like my barrel is right on spec. my 135 bayous are .356 consistently so i know I'm not undersized. idk what the deal is.

Could you provide a close up pic of your loaded rounds? Any chance you are shaving any coating during seating? Donnie makes a quality product and has a good reputation, have you tried calling him? He might be able to trouble shoot over the phone with you.

You should try larger OD on your bullets. Your only +.0005" which isn't large enough. You need to be at least .001" larger than your bore and even more if possible may solve your leading issues. I shoot lead exclusively and I shoot +.0025" over slug OD in .40 S&W and .45 ACP. My bores look like a mirror with no traces of leading.

You've not stated where your barrel is leading? Is it at the end close to the muzzle, the entire length of the barrel or close the the chamber? What barrel are you using? OEM or aftermarket? If OEM, whose?

Edited by igolfat8

It's an oem rock island rock ultra fs II 9MM.

Leads throughout the entire barrel. Shot a match today and it actually did far better than normal.... hmmmmm I'm going to try some .357s when I can get over to Donnie place.

Yeah I've been using Xtreme bullets pretty much exclusively for the last couple of years and love them. I usually watch for a sale or 5 dollar shipping and then they are as cheap as cast if you order quite a few. That being said I'm kinda anal about lead exposure and stay away from cast mostly because of that. The same reason I never had an interest to cast my own.

Edited by bfalcon00

It's an oem rock island rock ultra fs II 9MM.

Leads throughout the entire barrel. Shot a match today and it actually did far better than normal.... hmmmmm I'm going to try some .357s when I can get over to Donnie place.

RIA barrels internal machining can leave a lot to be desired. The internal surface finishes are some of the roughest I have ever encountered but they can be surprisingly accurate. It could be the roughness is stripping the lube too rapidly. Have you tried any lead bullets with traditional wax lube?

Having said that, I still think you need to try a larger bullet OD first. 9.5 Times out of 10, if the entire length of the bore is leading that [usually] points to undersized bullets.