Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide lightning

blacklab

I have a extra slide laying around and thought I might want to experiment with lightning. I did some looking on the internet and at local matches, and all the slides I've seen have the cuts vertical or just holes drilled on the side. So before I put it under the Bridgeport I thought I would run my idea past you fine people. What I would like to do is cut in horizontal slots from just behind the bushing about 1 1/2" long and maybe 3/16" wide. After its tri toped there would be one centered on the top, one on the angle of the tri top, and one on the flat part of the slide. Each cut would start 1/2" back from the one above it. I didn't mike. anything yet so the measurements are approximate. Does anyone see why this wouldn't work? Will it create week points? I should mention the gun is not being built for any real purpose, maybe steel shooting, it's just a idea I have. It will have a 3 port threaded comp. from EGW on a 5 1/2" barrel,( extra parts I also have.) It would only see factory loads. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks........... I forgot , the slide is about 17oz now and I "think" the cuts should take to about 10 or 11oz.

I feel like I've seen this set up before, so it must be doable. I decided to have my commander slide sent out for Tri-top work, but no holes. This is going to be carried but I didn't want it able to collect lint or anything.

My old 6" was tri topped and cut up in the same area you're talking about, and held up fine to thousands of minor and major loads with no issues. let us know how the finished slide goes!

Hello: Try the tri-top first then decide if you want it any lighter. Since you have a Bridgeport explore what you can do with it. Plain slots like that are ok but why not look at something more exciting? Don't be afraid of tilting the head and putting in angle cuts or slots, pockets etc. "If you can dream it, you can machine it". I should patten that saying. Thanks, Eric

The pic that you posted is like the cuts that I used to run in the mid 90's. It will work just fine, and I was running 115 at 182 PF. Remember shooting a 1610 FPS at the Mountaineer Classic in W.Va. That was my high round. How times have changed.

Itdmstr........Oops me bad. I should have paid attention in English class. Please don't ask me to count to 10, I wasn't good in math class ether. Troupe.......looks like I'm showing my age. I guess my sub conscience is still living in the past. Thanks for you input.

Just kidding around with you. Your cuts should be ok. although you might want to break them into two shorter cuts instead of longer individual cuts. I would also avoid cutting into the locking lug recesses. That area is kinda thin already.

Itdmstr..... I am going to keep it short of the locking lugs, because I want to stay rather far in front of the ejection port. Do you think the long cuts will be a problem? For some reason I just like the way it looks.

Biloxi23.... That's really nice. Do the cuts on the side of the slide go all the way through or are they just indents?

Hard to say how much is too much without doing some complicated measurements and calculations. But if you look at the area where the cuts overlap, combined you're probably removing 40% of the material around the circumference. I've seen slides with a lot more than that removed, but I have no idea if they've held up over time.

• 4 weeks later...

Well..... It's been awhile, but I am making headway on my slide. It's turning out a little different than I thought it would and is a litter lighter than I thought too. I weighs in at 9oz. Any thoughts or constructive criticism would be appreciated.

post-60558-0-64108500-1440986637_thumb.j

post-60558-0-26091800-1440986655_thumb.j

post-60558-0-37514400-1440986674_thumb.j

post-60558-0-79046600-1440986687_thumb.j

Hi, lightening cuts are done mainly for slide weight reduction but you already know that. You can do plain simple stuff ( but effective ) or dig deep with imagination. My last open build in 38 super ( for match's ) consisted of a tri top cut, full length, three horizontal slots ( about .675 x .375,' slot on top for popple holes, scalloped at rear top and slide racker dovetail, nothing to fancy but effective. If you choose to get real artist like imaginative then copy some of the slide cuts from Limcats design, the man doesn't build guns, he builds " works of art "