Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I got a new barrel, and a bunch of FTRB's in my first trip out

ArrDave

I managed to shoot out a squib in a match necessitating a new barrel. I had my gunsmith do the tiny bit of fitting it required. (Got a new barrel from Dan Wesson). I could load up as long as I wanted previously and it was no big deal. I took it out today and it's choking on my 1.265 loads. So is the solution to load shorter or is this something I need to look at on the barrel?

Can I assume from the OAL that this is 45acp? 1.265 does seems a touch long. I run 1.24 and am good to go. I wouldn't think that there is anything wrong with the barrel. If your loads won't drop right into the barrel ( see ker plunk test) than shorten them a bit. Also check your crimp.

UPDATE: The rounds I have trouble with are the longer rounds. Loading shorter I have no feeding issues, I believe it's not the bullet won't chamber, but I think it's a feeding issue.

So where do the bullets seem to hang up? You might try making a few dummy loads and cycle the slide by hand, slowly to see exactly where the resistance is and work from that.

I'm looking at going shorter anyway, save a little bit on powder. The lyman manual listed everything as 1.276, so I loaded a bunch up to not quite that (1.265-1.270 depending on the session).

So where do the bullets seem to hang up? You might try making a few dummy loads and cycle the slide by hand, slowly to see exactly where the resistance is and work from that.

I'm looking at going shorter anyway, save a little bit on powder. The lyman manual listed everything as 1.276, so I loaded a bunch up to not quite that (1.265-1.270 depending on the session).

I doubt that the Lyman manual listed everything as 1.276". The maximum OAL for the 45 ACP is 1.275" according to SAAMI, and that is often indicated in drawings for the cartridge, but that does not mean that it applies to all bullets. It seldom does, and many flat nose bullets won't fit in the magazine at that length.

Look for the OAL that should be indicated for each individual bullet.