Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When is a comp ready for the bin?

olp73

Hi

My muzzle brake shows significant signs of erosion. I have more or less eroded away half the thickness at the center of the baffles. My question is does this affect accuracy or make the compensator less effective? Is there a security issue here? When do you guys change yours?

I could always buy a new one, but I am somewhat curious. The comp is a Henning Thor model, and has about 10 000 -15 000 rounds. I have always regarded it as well made and effective. A product I would recommend to anyone.

Thanks

I'd keep running it until you feel that something has changed. If your accuracy is acceptable and you feel like the brake is still effective, I see no sense in changing it.

On the other hand, if $85 is worth your peace of mind, go ahead and buy a new one.

The main thing for me would be accuracy, if it is not effecting accuracy and your not worried about it splitting apart or anything like that, I would keep using it. If it gets worn to the point that gas is having an uneven effect on the bullet, accuracy will go away.

Hurley

When it fails the comp test!!! Hold the rifle about 1-2 inches away from a paper target and pull the trigger. If it blasts a big hole in the paper it is worn out. If the paper doesn't move much and only has a 22 cal. Hole in it your still efficient!

When it fails the comp test!!! Hold the rifle about 1-2 inches away from a paper target and pull the trigger. If it blasts a big hole in the paper it is worn out. If the paper doesn't move much and only has a 22 cal. Hole in it your still efficient!

.....thanks a lot for this!!