Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling Shots

I'm getting to the point that if the sights are aligned with my eyes when the shot breaks, I can call the location of the shot. My question is, are others able to call the shot if the sights are not quite lined up with your eye? I find that sometimes I let the shot break when the sights are close to being aligned with my eye, but before they actually are. In that case, I'm not able to call the location. In these cases, I usually get a hit, and sometines an A, but I don't know where the hits are until I go back and score.

Should I be able to call those shots or do I need to spend a little longer getting the sights aligned before breaking the shot?

Thanks,

Jim

Some of the guys here have posted of learning to call the shot with a less than ideal sight picture. It is sugested that you should try deliberately missaligning the sights at different distances, and see what you get on the target.

This is why I tape practice targets as needed to identify each shot. Often they get taped every run.

Thru experience, practice, and testing...you can learn what is and what is not going to get the hit.

On ther flip side of that...Once I learned to call the shot, I did a lot of work on my index...working on increasing the distance that my body could naturally align the sights and get them on target.

But, any time that I am not able to call the shot...that means that I just shot a "hoper". Hopers lose.

Some would suggest we need perfect sight picture but not perfect sight alignment. Yesterday had neither and I sucked, bad. :P

Ron - I was right there with you yesterday at a local match. I don't think I saw a sight picture or allignment all day :o

The short answer to your question is no, you don't have to have a "perfect" sight picture for each shot. What you must do is to be able to read your sights and know where your shot went the moment you made the shot. The key there in that last sentance is "know". ;)

It will take a bit of time, but it sounds like you are asking the right questions. Good luck!!!

This is more of a question than the way it is. I believe that I must see the front sight before I pull the trigger even on 4 yarders. On the reach out and touch them targets I will admitt that I just index them and can shoot A's when just push the muzzle almost on the target. For 7 yards and beyond I like to see the front sight centered in the rear notch before the trigger releases. Sometimes the front post is not totally centered in the rear notch or the heigth is not perfect. 20 yards and out, I want a centered front post with the top of the sight with the top of the rear to shoot as accurately as I can.

What do you think of my thought process? If I am all wet let me know. My position is that I shoot for all A's as fast as I can and I want to give myself the best opportunity of doing just that. If you think I ought to just blast more I would like to hear it. If you think that every sight alignment and sight picture should have higher stds of quality control, I would also like to hear that.

Rick

Read the part in Brian's book about focus types, very elegant description that I believe will answer your questions.

I also like Ron Avery's mantra of, "See what you need to see to make the shot."

Sounds like you're right there as far as concept.

I would add to the see what you need to see to make the shot...

I would change it to...see what you need to see to make...and call...the shot.

Calling the shot is knowing. And, knowing allows the shooter to move on to the next thing with decisive action. Knowing is faster...even on those close-up hoser targets. ;)

Calling shots is not a science, it is an understanding between what you see and how you interpret what you see to what happens on paper.

My response to your question is yes - you can call shots with a rough index or a less than ideal sight picture.

Let's switch to open for one second here. The dot makes this easier. When I switched to 9X25 the dot moved VERY little on target. It was scary how flat they were. So calling shots should have been easy, but in reality it was still tough. I had to re-learn calling shots to now understand not only where the dot was when the shot broke, but also how the gun was moving and recoiling. Such a flat shooting gun enabled me to realize there was so much more to calling shots than "dot here bullet here"

That's converted to limited for me and while I still have my fair share of mikes and no-shoots I better understand why. I am also able to pull some things off that my eyes may say don't "traditionally" equate to a hit but my vision and my interpretation of what I know is happening calculates that yes, this is ok. All instantaneously.

I always get the impression that people think calling shots is seeing sights and shooting based on that. Calling shots is understanding the whole dyanmic for yourself, converting that to your "hardrive" that conciously you don't have access to, and allowing yourself to trust what you already know.

It's tough - but for me it works.

JB