Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tactical division

mhop

I am not sure we actually need a new division unless we got rid of a division first to not dilute the competitiveness of the sport. I purpose we get rid of L10 division because if a state has a restriction on magazine capacity we have a rule that already covers it 3.3.1 it is below.

3.3.1 In states where competitors are restricted by law to maximum magazine capacity, that maximum capacity will be the maximum allowed for all competitors in the contest. Any such limitations must be made known to all competitors by the Match Director/Range Master before the start of the match.

My purposed division for replacement of L10 is attached. Below are some reasons for why I think the new division should be. The reason for the name Tactical is it is already setup in EZ winscore and practiscore it would be minimal to add this division as provisional.

My idea behind the division is to allow concealed carry people that modify their carry gun outside of the production division rules a place to compete where they aren't going to against full race guns in open division. Keeping the division at 15 minor only allows IPSC competitors to come over and compete in the exact format they use overseas and US competitors can shoot a division to get ready for IPSC matches and not be in Limited division. Same reason for no restriction on holster. Below are some more specifics for each point in the Division restrictions.

1&2. We only have one division that minor is widely used I believe that minor scoring makes USPSA very different compared to major scoring,
6. Not a restricted division let the shooters shoot whatever gun they have without overbearing rules to allow them to compete.
7. Making a gun fit the box with the slide parallel to the long side of the box will not allow angling the gun which was the demise of modified division and out of control cost to be competitive in that division.
8. Same as open or limited it could go either way for me. Just think we should keep a restriction on them so we can use existing measuring devices.
9. 15 round so 9mm and .40 could be competitive without having to buy extended base pads to feel competitive in the division and it is in line with IPSC rules for production.
12. Having no restriction on this rule allows people who want to use there every day carry position (AIWB) to shoot in this division without buying specific equipment to compete.
13. Slide mounted optic only allowed; a new trend is to mount a slide ride optic on people's carry gun. This will allow those people to compete and not be going against full race gun in Open division.
14. If people are going to be shooting there carry gear and that is the reason for the division no need to make someone take there flashlight off just to shoot a USPSA match.
15. I do not think we should allow compensator due to the perceived equipment race it will cause.
16. Same as above
17. Some of the common guns that would be shot in this division are made this way from the factory
18. With all the equipment no way to figure out what the maximum weight would be to allow the guns that aren't in other divisions.
19. Let people shoot what they want.
20. Same as 12

Some issues I see is allowing the optic will make everybody shooting the division to use an optic. Maybe? At the local level it will give people a place to shoot guns that have been modified out of production division. At the national level everybody in the top 16 will have to have an optic to be competitive. Also Full size handguns with the slide mounted optics will not fit into the box this is an unforeseen benefit to the rules because it keeps in line with the concealed carry and guns that do not fit into the other divisions.

post-11769-0-28188200-1437675465_thumb.p

I don't understand why so many people are against Limited-10. Yes, USPSA matches must honor the restrictions of the states in which they are hosted, but.... getting rid of L10 would mean that those people restrained by their states to only own limited capacity magazines could not compete outside of their state. Why go to the nationals to shoot limited if all you have and are allowed to own at home are 10 round mags? I live in SC but mostly shoot in GA. Thankfully neither of those states have mag capacity restrictions but I imagine that there are a lot of people in restrictive states that like to travel to shoot in other states.

If we follow your logic, we would need an Open10 division too.

Perhaps those who want to shoot full capacity could learn from Canadian competitors, participating in USPSA matches...

Perhaps those who want to shoot full capacity could learn from Canadian competitors, participating in USPSA matches...

And also New York!

We follow pretty close to the same rules as you guys to our north. Open 10 makes you pretty good at reloading.

Also makes you pretty mad when you drop your big stick after 8 shots at a match in a free state. Lol

Edited by robb315

I don't understand why so many people are against Limited-10. Yes, USPSA matches must honor the restrictions of the states in which they are hosted, but.... getting rid of L10 would mean that those people restrained by their states to only own limited capacity magazines could not compete outside of their state. Why go to the nationals to shoot limited if all you have and are allowed to own at home are 10 round mags? I live in SC but mostly shoot in GA. Thankfully neither of those states have mag capacity restrictions but I imagine that there are a lot of people in restrictive states that like to travel to shoot in other states.

I understand that challenge. I wonder how many people this applies to. Many seem to borrow mags or have some otherwise available when traveling to one of the free states.

Hawaii already has Open 10

I personally like the idea. For whatever the reason manufacturers are producing optic ready guns and people are buying them, lets find a way for someone that has purchased one to shoot it in USPSA. USPSA has a membership of around 25,000, that isn't a large number. Whatever we can do to make the sport more attractive to new shooters we should be doing it. USPSA should be more proactive in it's approach to recruiting new members and I think that this suggestion is a step in that direction.