Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OLD SVI Open gun opinions

happyal

Hello,

I have found the attached pistol, it's fairly cheap and I was thinking about buying it as a range toy, and maybe doing some IPSC Open club matches with it.

Does anyone recognise it? Or the mount? I'm a little worried about a single sided mount an a plastic frame.

post-59180-0-65078000-1437398796_thumb.j

post-59180-0-86616300-1437398805_thumb.j

post-59180-0-48393600-1437399116_thumb.j

Edited by happyal

The frame is metal, just the grip area is plastic. All SV pistols are really nice, even old ones. If you call Brandon at SV and give him the serial number, he could probably tell you more about it but that is probably mid-90's from the look of the components. I'm sure some of the SV jockeys may know more. Can you give us a ball park figure of what is "fairly cheap"?

Doesn't look like "state of the art" equipment in 2015.

I'd pay quite a bit more for current technology, with no

wear on the gun.

I wouldn't pay too much for this entry gun - what caliber is it? :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

The mount is an old heuing carbon fiber mount

The gun it self, no clue

Back in the day svi sold frames and slide, so might have been built by them, or by someone else

The scope and mount are an older design, if ether breaks, it may not be as simple as a parts swap

The new aimpoints may fit, but the dot may be too small for pistol shooting

The mount has a heuing hole pattern, not the more common c-more , I don't know if any of the screw hole match up, but you're

Looking at getting a mount that is custom drilled

The frame is steel. Honestly I wouldn't bother shooting a match with that optic but the gun itself is quite likely fine, and modern open guns mount to the same type of frame in a similar manner. If all looks in order and the price is good (though its hard to know how good a price it is without a $$$ amount), then I'd say grab it and mount a C-More. Mounting a new optic is likely all that'd be needed.

One thing to be mindful of is that back in the days of yore, major PF was 175 instead of the current 165. I know some of the older open guns were built to run at 175 and won't run lower without some tweaking. Truthfully though if that turned out to be the case I'd just shoot 175PF (or whatever minimum it took to run the gun) and not worry 'bout it.

I'm based in Europe, we don't have as many options as you guys in the US, the SVI pictured above works out at approx US$1,500 but I think I'll give it a miss.

I've just ordered my own SVI, and I'd only be getting this one because it's available now and I'm impatient. I'll wait until I get my own gun and just shoot it allot.