Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock Questions

Glockinator

I've been buying parts to eventually build a open Glock and ran across a deal I could not pass up on a G17 and 3 mags for $380. Well yesterday it arrived and I installed the Carver mount and slide ride on it and came up with a few questions.

How necessary is lowering the ejection port for this mount combo? It seems the port is at the same height as the leg of the mount so you are not gaining much. For now I have the sight mount fully forward but will test moving it back for weight reasons when I can get it to the range.

How are the chambers on the KKM barrels? I've about talked myself into a KKM barrel, for the additional accuracy it may get, except for the additional cost. I know for the Lone Wolf barrels I'd probably have to get them to throat it for 9mm major loads. Are the KKM barrels good to go out of the box for major loads?

Lastly I am trying to figure out weather to go with a Carver 3 port or 4 port comp. Sounds like the 3 port may be a better all round combination? I'm planning on using it for Steel and major loads and the ability to function with factory or major loads seems to have me leaning this way.

Edited by Glockinator

Hello, I used to own a Glock 31 open gun in 357 sig and I may be able to help with some of your questions. I would not worry about lowering the ejection port until you test your loads as you may not need to do that with the Carver Mount. I have used both Lone wolf and KKM barrels and really the only difference is price, accuracy was the same and the Lone wolf is about $60 cheaper and both should handle the higher pressures from major loads. Bullet profile will matter more when talking about OAL as far as chambering the round, a round nose will allow longer OAL to the point that you will have problems loading your mags if loaded too long. I used the Carver 4 port on my Glock 35 open gun that I had before the Glock 31, I used the SJC 11 port on my 357 sig gun and it was much flatter. I personally think the SJC 5 or 11 port is better than the Carver offerings. I was running an 11 lb recoil spring in both guns. As far as shooting steel goes you will just need to make up a load that will run the gun, so it may not need to be major pf levels but stronger than a very light load you would use on a non compensated gun. Good luck

Edited by MrPostman

Plus 1 for the SJC 11 port. I did have issues with residue on the glass (literally not usable after 10 shots), since mine was 90 degree mount. I later combined the first two chambers. I thought it shot better and no problems with glass.

I use the SJC CMore 90 degree mount- and the LW slide from Carver- its milled down like .1000 of an inch- something like like that- and KKM barrel.

Carver 4 port comp- my OAL with PD 124gr JHP is 1.155- they work and function just fine in all 5 mags.

PF had to be bumped up to 175-180 because the gas was bleed off so much with this comp- Carver 3 port worked at much lower PF- 160!

But I had more muzzle flip- so I stayed with the 4 port Carver.

Either LW or KKM will handle the PF loads- and unless your some kinda super marksmen- you'll never be more accurate than either barrel-

Because me and 1911's don't get along. I spend more time with them at the smith's than anything else. Got a new one that now needs either a new safety fitted or sear because something changed after 400 rounds. There is not a Smith around here that can get to it in the next 6 months. Besides for some reason when I pull a Glock trigger the sights actually settle, with a 1911 it seems the opposite.

Why would anyone want to shoot an Open Glock? Never been able to understand that. Like a hot rod Chevette.

I mainly shoot open 3-gun with a little USPSA mixed in. My Glock 17 open has run perfect for going on 2-years shooting 3-4 matches a month with thousands of rounds down the barrel. For me and my bad eyes it is the perfect 3-G open gun. Don't need to make major, can if I want for USPSA just swap the recoil spring. Runs all the time, barely ever clean the mags no matter how dusty and dirty. Has a decent trigger, not a 2011, but not bad. The only limit is me not the gun. I see my 2011 buddies cleaning mags, messing with extractors, having ghost problems constantly. I bought it used out of BE classifieds and have $1200 in it. Now if I ever go to USPSA open only, I would have a 2011 for major. It is the way to go.

gerritm

post-23808-0-16914300-1438007122_thumb.j

I would say if you already have everything test it out and see what happens with out lowering the ejection port. You may need to play with your ejector to get it to run. I'm running a 90 mount and never had any trouble with that.

As for the comp I've run both carver 4 port and SJC 11 port. I don't know that there is much difference in performance. Both worked fine with minor loads, some really light loads didn't cycle 100% My 11 port did crack on the last port, and I have a buddy who had the same issue. I'm running the carver now. I may do more comp testing over the winter.

Why would anyone want to shoot an Open Glock? Never been able to understand that. Like a hot rod Chevette.

Because we all cant afford custom open guns- made my open G17 myself-