Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So how light and heat sensitive is powder you ask?

DefiantMenace

When I first started reloading I was given large amounts of information by many different people(Info I did, and still do appreciate), most of which was exactly the same, and a lot of it made perfect sense at the time. However, most I later found to be completely untrue. In this instance I was told by MANY people always make sure you dump your powder hopper when you're not reloading. Never leave it in the hopper, and if you do for god sakes man cover it, don't let that pesky sunlight near it!! Always keep your powder cool, indoors, out of the sunlight. Never leave it in direct sunlight or let it get hot!!

Since I had a lot of powder and I have always been of the curious nature, I put about half a pound of some very old Red Dot in a mason jar and set it outside. I placed it on top of this metal shipping container, container is dark in color and always has direct sunlight. I forgot about it after a while, these things happen. A few weeks ago I was fixing the turbine vent on the container......... and there it was. It had been on top of the container 1.5 summers!! Has to be bad right? After all Arizona is not known for its cloudy days and cool weather.

I loaded some 9mm rounds starting at 3.9g and worked all the way up to 4.5g just to be cautious. The powder worked just fine, all the rounds cycled my G19! I don't have a chrono but the 4.5g rounds felt exactly the same as the ones I normally load at 4.5g.

So how heat and light sensitive is powder........... well I cant say for all modern pistol powder, but if you're laying in bed at night worrying about ruining the Red Dot powder in your hopper because it got a few hours of sunlight before u put it back in the jug.........I think you can sleep easy.

Glad I never wasted time emptying my hoppers :-P

Edited by DefiantMenace

I don't ever empty mine. Admittedly, some of the powder hoppers will discolor - with some powders - over time,but, I've never seen one that you could not check the powder level within.

I used to empty mine just for this reason. Recently though, I have taken to lining the measure with a clear plastic sheet cut from a document cover. Over the past four to six months I have had no discoloration. More time will tell better, but it looks promising.

Even if sunlight did make some difference, I think most of us will use up the powder in the hopper well before it has a chance to go bad to the point where the internal ballistics of a load are going to be affected.

I'd be more impressed with Chrono rather than 'feel' results, but interesting data point.

I'm more concerned about powder soaking up moisture from humid environments.

I'm going to assume the Mason Jar had a good seal. Alabama humidity and Arizona humidity are slightly different.

I don't ever empty mine. Admittedly, some of the powder hoppers will discolor - with some powders - over time,but, I've never seen one that you could not check the powder level within.

Mine have all got a few shades darker as well, but not even close to opaque. I think titegroup tinted mine the most and fastest.

I'd be more impressed with Chrono rather than 'feel' results, but interesting data point.

I'm more concerned about powder soaking up moisture from humid environments.

I'm going to assume the Mason Jar had a good seal. Alabama humidity and Arizona humidity are slightly different.

Well "feel" is all I have. But the point isn't so much that it did or didn't loose a few feet per second........because honestly it shot great. The point is after being exposed to extreme temperatures and direct sunlight for a year and a half it still shot just fine!! :)

I have since put the powder back outside, going to keep shooting some of it every 6 months to a year and see what happens. Perhaps to appease the question of humidity I will punch a few holes in the lid for you.

Perhaps to appease the question of humidity I will punch a few holes in the lid for you.

Where are you going to get the humidity to put in the holes? :)

Send it to South Florida!

Perhaps to appease the question of humidity I will punch a few holes in the lid for you.

Where are you going to get the humidity to put in the holes? :)

Send it to South Florida!

LOL!!! Hey we are expecting rain this weekend, should be enough to at at least get the sidewalk damp...............probably! I was just reading an article about how Florida had two of the most humid cities in the US. I don't know how you live with it.

The only reason I mention it is that my reloading shop is protected from sunlight and is mostly conditioned so no temperature extremes but 50%+/- humidity is still typical. I empty my powder magazines back into the jug when finished, unless I am sure I'm reloading the next day.

I've had various powders stored in a wooden, non temperature controlled, shed for 15 years in Florida. During the recent powder shortage I had to dig some of them out. Red Dot was one. They seem to work quite well.

Thanks for posting. If you don't dump your hopper make sure you note what is in it. I use several different powders and have had to dump some because I hadn't loaded in a while and forgot what was in it.

David hit the nail on the head. OK if you only load one powder or you have a brilliant memory. Sadly I fail on both points. So I spend an extra 20 secs and empty my hopper back into the container and put it away for next time.Must have OCD. :roflol:

I think a lot depends on how much you reload. I have a lot of rounds pre-made in the safe, however I load what I am going to shoot for the next day, and I usually go to the indoor range 3-4 days a week......which means I'm reloading 3-4 days a week. If I was loading once or twice a month, that would be different but forgetting whats running through the hopper at this point isn't likely :-P

Dont feel bad about your memory goldfieldshooter.................my memory............... wait what were we talking about? LOL

I've had various powders stored in a wooden, non temperature controlled, shed for 15 years in Florida. During the recent powder shortage I had to dig some of them out. Red Dot was one. They seem to work quite well.

I think powders are a lot more resilient than people give them credit for, good to see I'm not alone in my findings :)