Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules question about De-Cocker only guns.

pdg45acp

I’m going to try to use a Beretta 96G in limited/major at the USPSA match this weekend at Atlanta CC.

A few years ago I saw an altercation of sorts between an RO and a guy shooting a Beretta 96G because the guy didn’t have the safety on.. I couldn’t stick around to find out how it turned out.

The Beretta 96G just has a de-cocker, no safety... but the way the gun is configured the de-cocker is identical to the de-cocker/safety on the non-G series Berettas.

What should a guy using a 96G say to an RO if the RO says something about the safety not being on?

I can’t find anything in the rule book that seems to cover this..

8.1 Ready Condition

Rule 8.1.2 Self Loading Pistols

8.1.2.1 "Single Action" Chamber loaded, Hammer Cocked, Safety Engaged.

8.1.2.2 "Double Action" Chamber loaded, Hammer fully down or de-cocked.

8.1.2.3 "Selective Action" Chamber loaded with hammer fully down, or

chamber loaded with with external safety engaged (see divisions in

appendix D)

My Sig 229 is the same way. Decock only, no safety.

Vince

Rules 8.1.2.1 - 3 cover what you're looking for --- and 8.1.2.2 is the one that specifically applies to a "G" model Beretta.  You were planning on starting decocked, right?

Yep.. that's it...

8.1.2.2 "Double action", chamber loaded, hammer fully down or decocked..

Thanks for the quick responses guys

:D

Well, the RO should catch on when you decock the weapon that it's a decocker.

As others have said, point the RO at the rulebook, if he doesn't believe it :) Politely offer to explain the concept of a decocker, if he wants to know. :)

edit... gotta be quicker!! ;)

edit... gotta be quicker!! ;)

And therein lies my problem... :blink:

Us retired and somewhat elderly people are sometimes like deer in the headlights when it comes to dealing with things we aren't prepared for.

But.. I'm ready for this one now.. :D

Us retired and somewhat elderly people are sometimes like deer in the headlights when it comes to dealing with things we aren't prepared for.

But.. I'm ready for this one now.. :D

Man, I have that problem already (going "tharn"... ;) Damn, I must be older than I though!!! :lol:

The key here is that a lot of these issues can be avoided by knowing the rulebook pretty well. I can highly suggest a Level I RO course, if you can take one - that'll help you understand the book a little better. But, the current version is a pretty easy read. Keep your rulebook handy in your shooting bag, too. You might be a labeled a DRL (Dirty Range Lawyer), but it can defuse these rule disputes for you :)

Maybe the RO just didn't know DA (or DAO) pistols?

I had someone shooting something a couple of matches ago, that was SA (lcoked/cocked, safety on) or double action. I'd never seen one, I had to ask a couple questions about his start position.

There are a few guns that do that. One I know of that's kind of rare around here is a Bernadelli. There are other more common guns that can be single action, cocked and locked, or double action, hammer down.

Vince

I think you need to be "cocked and locked" or "decocked".

No worries, you should be good to go for the match.

We do have a few seats open for the Level 1 Range Officer class being held at the Circleville, OH club on March 19 &20. Anybody that wants to attend would need to get in touch with me ASAP.

How many stages are you guys shooting at the Atlanta club this weekend?

I think you need to be "cocked and locked" or "decocked".

No worries, you should be good to go for the match.

We do have a few seats open for the Level 1 Range Officer class being held at the Circleville, OH club on March 19 &20. Anybody that wants to attend would need to get in touch with me ASAP.

How many stages are you guys shooting at the Atlanta club this weekend?

6 at least...I hope.. :)

you're good to go pat no one will say anything. steve

Oh.. yeah... just like nobody will say anything about my Bibs.. :lol:

Well. I got ya covered this weekend.. I got me a nice pair of fat boy pants with real nice "Large Men" suspenders...

:P

BTW... I'll be dominating limited with this new beretta.. so you and Larry can just stay home..

B)

There are other more common guns that can be single action, cocked and locked, or double action, hammer down.

Common Tanfoglio guns (the carry ones, not the competition) are like that.

I owned a T95R 9mm (the cheaper version of the Tanfoglio Stock model) that could be carried cocked & locked or decocked.

But, AFAIK, these guns don't have a decocker lever, since the safety is just ... a safety and cannot act as a decocker, you have to manually lower the hammer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be more worried about the RO falling over in suprise to see you back out shooting!

Welcome back PDG45.

Tom Bergman

PS I saw you there but you were not in my squad. Any problem arise about the Beretta?