Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers for .45 acp (G21, 41)

MissionaryMike

I'm looking to reload some ammo for the first time here. Shopping around for components and I've got everything else but the primers. I've got a Basic Defense Kit installed from DK Custom Triggers, which has lighter than stock striker springs. Am I going to run into any issues with "light strikes" with this set up if I use CCI primers, or will it be safer using Federal primers, which are softer, but I've heard can crumble, deteriorate, or leave some sort of yellow residue?

Thanks,

MM

Try it first. If I remember right DK seems not to have issues but I'd want to hear that from the man himself. I'm running a LW striker and a 4.5 spring in a G22 on CCI primers so far without issues.

Edited by Glockinator

I'm looking to reload some ammo for the first time here. Shopping around for components and I've got everything else but the primers. I've got a Basic Defense Kit installed from DK Custom Triggers, which has lighter than stock striker springs. Am I going to run into any issues with "light strikes" with this set up if I use CCI primers, or will it be safer using Federal primers, which are softer, but I've heard can crumble, deteriorate, or leave some sort of yellow residue?

Thanks,

MM

I don't know where that information about Federal primers came from but I have been using them for 40 years and I have never had one crumble or leave a yellow residue. I am not saying it didn't happen to someone but for me they have always worked when others would not. I have had light strike issues with CCI primers in striker fired guns, I have had erosion around the firing pin hole with Winchester primers but I have never had any kind of problem with Federal primers in any caliber at any time other than they were hard to find.

You are better off staying with Fed if you are going to continue to run a lightened striker spring. Even if you ran 100 rounds of CCI or Win primers with no issues, doesn't mean you won't have issues with 10k CCI / Win primers.

they always come when you absolutely don't need light strikes. :)

FWIW, I've shot about 20k CCI LPP through an M&P with 2lb2oz trigger and never had a failure to fire. I've shot a thousand or two through my G21 without issues...but it was the stock striker spring. I would buy CCI without hesitation.