Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear sight placement

ffgats

Is it wrong to install the rear sight where the mid bead is located instead to the rear most part of the bbl?, I am far sighted maybe this will work better for me, just a theory gents. Maybe you can share the pros and cons on this idea. I just feel that with the sight about 13-16" from the front sight it will be more faster or easier to get the sight alignment

The xs is not made to be used like a traditional front/rear. Pat Kelley notched one a while ago, the pics are on here or his Facebook somewhere.

Doing it the way you mention you may not be able to see much of the front bead over the xs

sight radius makes for more accuracy. so having it closer to the front would kinda negate the basic reasoning for having one. that ol pat kelley sure has lots of good info to share, being around for so long you pick up a lot from other shooters.

trapr

I totally agree the longer radius the better for accuracy. But I find faster right now using the mid bead, maybe because I can focus more on the target? My only problem on my present set-up, if I want to get the POI , the mid bead has to cover the front sight, So a XS sight with a square notch and a filing it to the same height as the mid bead will work, again a theory,

XS makes different height sights, if you need to file the sight to the proper height, just need to know which height sight to start with, so you dont wind up with a taller sight than you need that has a very DEEP notch in it. measure your mid bead, and add, either .05 (XS recommended dovetail depth), or .075 which is my recommended dovetail depth. if youre going to file a notch then take that into consideration as well. sight heights are, .100, .120, .150, .170 this measurement is from the base of the sight to the top of the shallow V. my guess is .120 or .150 should work just fine, as .150 is what i use on most every installation ive done when placing it back on the rib.

try to cut the dovetail over a rib support to give it rigidity, and when you file your notch, place electrical tape in front and behind the sight to help keep from scratching your rib with the file.

if you call XS and ask for Monte Long he can send you what you need.

Trapr

XS makes different height sights, if you need to file the sight to the proper height, just need to know which height sight to start with, so you dont wind up with a taller sight than you need that has a very DEEP notch in it. measure your mid bead, and add, either .05 (XS recommended dovetail depth), or .075 which is my recommended dovetail depth. if youre going to file a notch then take that into consideration as well. sight heights are, .100, .120, .150, .170 this measurement is from the base of the sight to the top of the shallow V. my guess is .120 or .150 should work just fine, as .150 is what i use on most every installation ive done when placing it back on the rib.

try to cut the dovetail over a rib support to give it rigidity, and when you file your notch, place electrical tape in front and behind the sight to help keep from scratching your rib with the file.

if you call XS and ask for Monte Long he can send you what you need.

Trapr

The height of the mid bead measured from the rib is ...080, my origianal plan is to cut a notch of XS all the way to the rib , with this concept I will have a something for windage. as mentioned on my previous post if I put or cover my front sight with the mid bead I am getting the right point of impact.

Another of question of mine before was, will it be faster if the XS will be installed on the mid bead location or at the rear part of the bbl, not talking of accuracy, just speed in sight alignment. I find it more instinctive right now and faster using my mid bead as the rear sight compared to my another SG which has the rear sight at the rear most location, somewhat more obstructive, I intend to focus more on the rear too. I know this sound crazy, just my observation. Thanks

As to placement and speed, you're in an undiscovered country!!! I've never heard of anyone doing it, but if it winds up being faster then you can lay claim to being the innovator.

I've got 7 or 8 shotguns with the sight mounted rearward, and have never noticed the rear sight unless I wanted to use it, so as for it being obstructive???????

Trapr

As to placement and speed, you're in an undiscovered country!!! I've never heard of anyone doing it, but if it winds up being faster then you can lay claim to being the innovator.

I've got 7 or 8 shotguns with the sight mounted rearward, and have never noticed the rear sight unless I wanted to use it, so as for it being obstructive???????

Trapr

I will try to explain the best I can since detailing is not my forte, lol, started my SG shooting focusing on the targets and imposing the front sight on it. Now that I am on the 3 gun stuff and just starting by the way, with slugs stages I feel the need of a rear sight which my SG have it now. What I mean by Obstructive is that there is a tendency on my part to focus now on the rear sight even shooting using shots even on close and average distance targets.

In thoery, if I placed my rear sight on the mid bead location to help me with my windage, maybe it will be faster or easier for a sight alignment. btw, I am far sighted so the more distance the sight away from eyes the better for me to see. hope Im making sense here

Trapr

I will try to explain the best I can since detailing is not my forte, lol, started my SG shooting focusing on the targets and imposing the front sight on it. Now that I am on the 3 gun stuff and just starting by the way, with slugs stages I feel the need of a rear sight which my SG have it now. What I mean by Obstructive is that there is a tendency on my part to focus now on the rear sight even shooting using shots even on close and average distance targets.

In thoery, if I placed my rear sight on the mid bead location to help me with my windage, maybe it will be faster or easier for a sight alignment. btw, I am far sighted so the more distance the sight away from eyes the better for me to see. hope Im making sense here

You will only be focusing on your front sight, the rear is just there to help line it up. Just like a pistol or iron sight rifle. I have a XS rear sight on the back of my rib, the front a yellow/green HiViz, why, because I can see the yellow/green better. The rear sight is the shortest of the 3 sights in the XS kit and it hit dead on out to 100 yds.

I played with the mid dot when I first started with my 1301, just never hit perfect every time.

Edited by The Donald

Hey, try it already! If it doesn't work out you can always put a blank in the dove tail slot and drive on! Hell you can even drill and tap the blank for a mid rib bead again...no down side. Quit treating your shotgun like it is an altar, it is a tool that can, and will, over it's life time, be hacked on tuned up and ultimately destroyed

Hey, try it already! If it doesn't work out you can always put a blank in the dove tail slot and drive on! Hell you can even drill and tap the blank for a mid rib bead again...no down side. Quit treating your shotgun like it is an altar, it is a tool that can, and will, over it's life time, be hacked on tuned up and ultimately destroyed

QFT