Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question to Blade-Tech holster users

mittens

Hi all,

I know this subject has been covered quite extensively (used the search feature) but what I did not find was the specific part modified.

I have a Blade-Tech DOH on a Tek-lok and it's pretty nice. I thought it was Production legal until a rule guru came up to me and told me I was not legal for my division. I contacted Blade-Tech and they sent me some rubber spacers but I was wondering where I'm supposed to be placing it? Do I put it between the Tek-lok and the drop arm or the drop arm and the actual holster? I'm only off by 1/4 inch but want to be legal. I've attached a picture with arrows pointing at the 2 logical spots to put it, your input is appreciated.

Additionally, I know the rules state use of magnets as a mag pouch is not legal in Production, but any issues running that DA belt magnet on the centerline as the make-ready magazine? I've seen a few folks do this at local matches and since you're using that magazine prior to the buzzer going off and not using it again, I figure it's legal. That said, I wouldn't want some rule Nazi coming in and complaining that the whole stage is null because I made ready from an "illegal" mag pouch. Thoughts?

post-59899-0-69638500-1436296736_thumb.j

You can put it either place. If you put it in the bottom position, it brings the grip closer to the hanger though. The arrows are a little low though :)

No, the general concensus is that the magnet on the belt is not production legal.

Have you considered mounting the holster directly to the Teklok without the DOH? I do that for my single-stack 1911 and it draws pretty well from that position and definitely legal.

I try not to be a range NAZI but I am a stickler. The rule simply states:

App D4 para 20

•Each magazine must be contained individually
within the magazine pouch. Magazines may not be
retained through magnetic means.
Since it does not say before the beep, etc etc they are not legal at any time. Best to not have it on the belt at all.

Have you considered mounting the holster directly to the Teklok without the DOH? I do that for my single-stack 1911 and it draws pretty well from that position and definitely legal.

I'm so used to a duty mount since that's what I wear for my job. I may give this a shot however and see if I like it.

App D4 para 20

Since it does not say before the beep, etc etc they are not legal at any time. Best to not have it on the belt at all.

So suppose someone is just getting started in USPSA and they have limited funds/gear and decide to keep all their magazines in their cargo pocket, then technically they're in violation of the rules too since they're not contained individually? Not trying to be confrontational, but if there is no magazine on the magnet I don't see the issue. Anyway I'm not going to say anything to the folks running it in Production so long as they're not drawing from it during the stage.

I'm so used to a duty mount since that's what I wear for my job. I may give this a shot however and see if I like it.

App D4 para 20

So suppose someone is just getting started in USPSA and they have limited funds/gear and decide to keep all their magazines in their cargo pocket, then technically they're in violation of the rules too since they're not contained individually? Not trying to be confrontational, but if there is no magazine on the magnet I don't see the issue. Anyway I'm not going to say anything to the folks running it in Production so long as they're not drawing from it during the stage.

If they do that, they're in open division :)

Keep them in their back pocket and they're gtg.

Another option for a DOH hanger is the BOSS. It is marginally more adjustable than the Bladetech product making it easier to meet the requirements and still maintain a decent position for the draw. I tried to make the Bladetech mount work and wasn't able to get it positioned very well.

Point A brings the grip/holster closer the the belt. Point B should make the draw more vertical and still leave some more space. Depending on how far you actually are away from the 2" rule I would try both and see which you prefer and which come out sturdier on yours.

As for the magnets. It all depends on the RM you have at a particular match. If you are in Florida at one of the "larger matches" you are GTG but if you are further out west some one may make you take it off. Honestly we need this to occur at a nationals and have this issue taken to arbitration so we get a final ruling.

Another option for a DOH hanger is the BOSS. It is marginally more adjustable than the Bladetech product making it easier to meet the requirements and still maintain a decent position for the draw. I tried to make the Bladetech mount work and wasn't able to get it positioned very well.

+ 1000

You get a legal width, better grip on the gun and a stiffer holster.

Edited by BMaus

For USPSA equipment Production

12 Restriction on position of holster and other equipment (revolver speed loaders, moon clips are exempt)
Yes, see Appendix E3
Doesn't matter if your using it or not the gear must be compliant with the division rules.
Edited by terrydoc

Good info regarding the magnet. Again, not gonna say anything to the folks running it prior to start but I'm sure someone at a larger match will say something.

What is this "BOSS" that was mentioned earlier?

Thanks for the recommendation. The BOSS from Ben Stoeger works like a charm- solid construction (holster doesn't move) and brings me within legal distance. A little bit higher than I'm used to, but nothing that dry fire won't fix.

Honestly we need this to occur at a nationals and have this issue taken to arbitration so we get a final ruling.

That probably won't help.....

11.6.4 Minutes – Decisions of the Arbitration Committee will be recorded and will provide precedent for any similar and subsequent incident during that match.

The carb decision would only be binding at the Nationals.....

Probably best to request an interpretation from DNROI.....

We had a squad mate at USPSA Limited nationals 3 years ago who was shooting a M&P Pro in a Blade Tech DOH and he had a slight muzzle forward cant. He shot the entire match and on the last stage of the match the RO tells him that his holster is illegal (too low on the belt) by 1/4 while he was about to LAMR. He was told he had to fix the holster before he could continue or he would be DQ from the entire match. He went to the safe area and it took him a good 20 minutes but he fixed it. Best part of the entire story is the stage required your gun to be on the shelf to start and you never used your holster during the stage. This is why I have a love/ hate thing with USPSA.

Did the same with mine. If you don't mind my answering, Lowes, home depot, ace hardware all carry nylon spacers or I cut a few pieces from a Delrin rod and put a hole in the center.

Here's how I set up my SS holster on the TekLok. Works very well, and is legal.

What did you use for spacers?

OSH had them, had to modify them slightly to fit with the holster dimple and the recessed nut. Take your bolts with you to match up the thread for the longer length you'll need....