Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 625 4” or 5” Barrel?

6brbb

Hi everyone, I’m wanting to give IPSC Revolver ago. The S&W 625 looks like the way to go given the 6 shot maximum before reload rule, and of course the 45 ACP easily makes 170 PF.

For those of you already shooting the 625 in USPSA or IPSC I would like you views on what barrel length is ideal.

I do appreciate finding a 625 in 5” is probably not easy, but I though I would ask the question before starting anything here. Will certainly be getting either APEX or TK Custom to do the tuning work on what option I send up going with.

Thanks for your input.

i think there is an apex'd 625 in the classifieds currently.

That being said, if you plan on getting equiped for revolver uspsa, skip the 625 and go directly to the 627 ( 8 shot 38/357 ) series ( or a 929 ).

If you are dead set on getting a 6 shot .45, go with a 5 inch. Unless you plan on dabbling in IDPA , then go for the 4"

I have neuropathy of the hands and far and away prefer the 4" barrel. Puts the weight in the palm instead of fingers/ heel of the hand supporting the barrel weight. Also feel the 4" transions faster. Just my .0125 cents after taxes.

buckaroo45

Pretty sure 6brbb is not in the US and talking IPSC, not USPSA.

Go with the 5" 45 Major, takes less powder, usually, and the sight radius will help. There is no advantage to the PC or JM models, so don't pay more for them.

With USPSA allowing 8 shot minor, if you can wrangle something from the states, used 625's might be a bit easier to find.

Good Luck.

Thanks for your input every one, some excellent points here. Yes I'm in New Zealand, so the reference to IPSC (only) - apologies for not mentioning that earlier. I have a good relationship with an US licensed exporter so will look to have him help in the process of procurement and customising before export.

More comments and feedback welcome. Thanks

Edited by 6brbb

• 3 weeks later...