Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does a beginning IDPA shooter need to know

Mark Perez

Mark, great question and I am sure that many will come forth with good additions to your question. Being relatively new myself and seeing, like you do, a good portion of shooters at any match are brand spaking new; I would like to add a couple of simple points.

First: know your weapon, how to manipulate it and work ALL of the controls. It amazes me, but I see people with a new gun, but they don't know a decocker from a safety from a dissasembly lever. Know your gun. Know how to clear a malfunction. Practice a tap, rack - bang.

Along with knowing your gun, you don't have to be the best shot on the range, but you had better have a solid understanding of muzzle control and keeping the "booger hook off of the bang switch" (I stole that from someone, but can't remember who).

2nd: Breath - see the front sight and release the shot. No speed demons need apply. Sounds goofy, but actually use that bumpy thingie on the end of the slide. (front sight)

Go to have fun and talk guns and be with others of similar ilk. Don't go to teach everyone else what they are doing wrong - go to learn and enjoy yourself. The above should get you through your first match.

Basic range rules and commands for action pistol of all kinds.

They need to know how to load and make ready,

how to unload and show clear, what to do if they hear a STOP command,

when they can and can not handle a firearm,

when they can and can not load magazines,

the purpose of a safe table,

Drawing from a holster safely

Muzzle direction control

Moving with a loaded firearm

IDPA rules

The safety aspects are the most important. How to shoot accuratly will come with time and practice if they survive the initial encounter.

Regards,

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Help: Tape, Set-up, Tear down

Go slow, get your hits, you can't miss fast enough to win. You can't be unsafe fast enough to be safe.

You are going to feel like a total idiot, and it is OK. We all did. That's the point, you are doing something very new and un-natural.

Understand that the rules can, and will, change without a moment's notice.

Understand that the rules themselves are up to the arbitrary, and occasionally capacious, will of the range officer.

And most importantly, remember that you are there to (safely) have a good time!

Alex

As Gun Geek pointed out, I find the key thing to tell new shooters is that they shouldn't try to go as fast as the experienced shooters. They must slow down and not try to blaze away. They don't understand that an experienced shooter looks like they're blazing, but are really in control and aiming their shots. Also, they need to be told that this is a fun sport and the sole purpose is to have fun.

Troy

• 3 weeks later...

Most new shooters at our club (as few as they may be) seem to pick up on IDPA pretty easily. We try not to bombard new shooters with rules right off the bat. As long as they feel safe drawing from a holster and are competent knowing how their pistol actually works, theres not alot more a new shooter needs to know before shooting their first match.

We stress general safety more than anything else, point out muzzle safe areas, trigger out of the guard while not actually shooting etc...

I wouldn't have thought to add this, but we had a few incidents a while back.

A lot of folks have shot on their own. Let them know if the range is cold, and what that means. ("face down range and load and make ready" "Oh, I already did that").

Personally, I'd add that there are a lot of folks that will give you very good advice. But I'd watch the shooters and be finicky of who I'd listen to.

One of the more important things to master, before bad habits are learned, is grip.

During the stages, think about nothing more than finger and muzzle (and maybe the front sight!)

We are lenient on the rules for new shooters. Because they are new, their times are not a threat to the experienced shooters.

We will therefore tell them that they were a little too exposed while doing their reload, or failed to pie the corner and were exposed to T2 while engaging T1, or any of a number of things that could earn them a PE. This way they learn the rules and we do not chase away a new shooter.

In my case I still forget to pie the corner or any one of a number of errors that earn me a PE or two every match. In my defense, I tend to forget the rules when I shoot. If I can see both targets, I will shoot both targets and forget about engaging the second from the otherside of the barrel.