Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10/22 rifle scopes....What brands to look at..

eerw

Trying to set up for STC match.. need to put a rifle scope on my soon to arrive 10/22..

Looking through all the catalogs and online...there are a lot of choices out there...

what brands should I look at...

and more importantly what should I stay away from...

and if anyone has shot this match..what power scope did you find works well...

thanks...

Lupy makes three close focus scopes 2 3X9's and a 6.5X20 You can get any crosshair (reticle) you want put in them. 3X9 will give more eye relief for fast shots and those times when your cheek doesn't exactly weld to the stock. (more forgiving). The 3X9 target dot is 1/8" fine crosshair and 1/4" target dot. this scope also has target turrets. Personally I use the Duplex on a Volqortsen/Fajen for silhoutte shooting. You will find that the Leo's have the added advantage of causing very little eye stain after hours of concentrated practice.

we shot the STC down here 3 years and used the World Class Tasco 6 x 24 AO with 1/8 minute dot mounted cantilevered on the barrel with Burris rings.....more than good enough scope for the 90 yard shots.... the star is a pain in the butt... If it ever comes back to Fla will definitely have the HOLO sight on the SW41..... a comment on 10/22 accuracy.... make sure the headspace is close to .040 or slightly under but not less than .038....make sure that the firing pin has limited vertical movement.... build a tuner to adjust the barrel for harmonic vibration..... my Clark fluted barrel will shoot paster size groups tuned for cheap SuperX high velocity..... regards Les

as to which power.... think that is part of the learning curve.... first year shot about 8 power, then had a 30 minute talk with Mr. David Tubb....next year shot at 16.... last year tried had it WFO at 24.... regards Les

I've shot a lot of Team Challenge and IMHO, the best optic for a 10/22 for this game is a Leupold 4.5-14 (what I used) or a 6.5-20 from Premier Reticles. Have them make you a custom dot reticle with target turrets (or at least an elevation turret). Tell them you want a dot that will subtend/cover 1" at 90 yards at the maximum magnification you think you will shoot (for me it was 14X). The star (3") and diamond (1.5X3") are the hardest targets at 75 and 90 yards. The 1" dot reticle fits niecely inside these shapes. This dot will also cover or subtend approx. 1/2" at 50 yards, which makes it very nice for the 1" bonus targets. This dot is also nice on the larger shapes, allowing you to see the dot and move through the targets pretty quick. All the guys on my team shot this set up and it rocked.

Lastly, know your dope (elevation come-ups) for all distances and put it write on your scope or memorize it. We had each shooter responsible for a bank of targets and then we moved to help each other. It is a lot easier to shoot POA/POI with your dope dialed in than trying to hold over or under, especially on the smaller target. Again this is what worked for us.

Best,

Nick-

I have a Swift.....Little known brand, but very good optics. Thier most expensive scope is like $350 SO THEY DON'T BREAK THE BANK. I have tried some Nikon and was not impressed. The Leupold's are nice but we are talking about a round that is only good to 100yrds.

tightloop, thats what I thought when I initially read the topic, but, not for STC. This is a very specialized sport. If they were training for 3gun I would agree, but, for this clarity and power are what you are looking for. The other part is a custom reticle from http://www.premierreticles.com If you send them the specs for the hold offs they will build it in a Leupy.

:-)