Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dual Caliber 9mm/.38SC Considerations

tyler2you

Hello: two beautiful guns there. Akai?

Can you tell me which you barrel you prefer shooting? Any perceived advantage with the super barrel?

Last question. I notice you have the svi trigger in an sti grip. Did you just work on the grip to fit it? Much work?

Edited by BeerBaron

Shay put the triggers in, but I have done many. If you have an old SV trigger just a little reshaping and drop it in. If it's a new one, pull the trigger off and put it on an STI trigger bow.

I shoot 9mm major in the winter so I don't have to recover brass in the snow. In a hybrid more gas is better, 38SC is a clear advantage. If you want to run a top fuelly you don't run 89 octane... you feed it the juice.

Maybe I'm a bit late joining this discussion, but this is my experience. I have an open gun that started life as a 38 super. I had a 9 mm barrel fit. What I found was that changing barrels required re-sighting the gun. That turned out to be too much of a pita to do on a regular basis. So I have just left it as 9 mm and my Super barrel sits in a cabinet.

I had a .38sc barrel assembly fitted for my 9mm and had both a extractor/ejector fit for the new caliber. Never tried running it with the 9mm parts since I had this done. If I didn't want a back up gun for my out of state matches I wouldn't have had another barrel and assorted parts fitted. I am old and broke down so picking up the .38sc brass got old real fast. With 9 I shot and forgot about the brass.

• 8 months later...

If you are going to shoot 9mm thru a Super don't buy a hybrid with more than two small holes or you may not make major.

Hi hello..

I was reading this thread because I'm a new owner of used AKAI 38super comp. just wanted to confirm since I have not fired a single round thru her (previous owner said about 6-7k with 38SC) that it would be safe for me to try this gun with 9mm factory load for minor (3gun) from freedom ? I also was considering getting 9mm top end but not so sure what the cost would be? c4fe9212e1777195afa44785037d96cc.jpgf67d905ced09822744cfa8593295dfc1.jpgThanks

Bryan

If you are going to shoot 9mm thru a Super don't buy a hybrid with more than two small holes or you may not make major.

Hi hello..

I was reading this thread because I'm a new owner of used AKAI 38super comp. just wanted to confirm since I have not fired a single round thru her (previous owner said about 6-7k with 38SC) that it would be safe for me to try this gun with 9mm factory load for minor (3gun) from freedom ? I also was considering getting 9mm top end but not so sure what the cost would be? c4fe9212e1777195afa44785037d96cc.jpgf67d905ced09822744cfa8593295dfc1.jpgThanks

Bryan

I just can't imagine 9minor will run in it with all those holes. You might try a 6 pound spring but I doubt it will work

Hi hello..

Bryan

I just can't imagine 9minor will run in it with all those holes. You might try a 6 pound spring but I doubt it will work
Oh ok, forgot about the spring. So 6lbs spring would be the lightest? Thanks sarge

My Akai's in that configuration came with cut down Wolf 8# recoil springs. I do not know what Freedom rounds are loaded with. My suggestion would be chamber check every round first make sure they don't sit too low. Chrono a few see how it functions and report back.

Also if it is stroked, add 2 or 3 aluminum shock buffs and cut the recoil spring so it gets full stroke with the buffs in place. You may like that better.

Edited by Hello

My Akai's in that configuration came with cut down Wolf 8# recoil springs. I do not know what Freedom rounds are loaded with. My suggestion would be chamber check every round first make sure they don't sit too low. Chrono a few see how it functions and report back.

Gotta get a chrono machine too..I will report back by next week.

Also if it is stroked, add 2 or 3 aluminum shock buffs and cut the recoil spring so it gets full stroke with the buffs in place. You may like that better.

Don't fully understand the "stroked" thing (can you please explain) and where would I get alum shock buffs? thank you hello.

Bryan

Edited by brytec

I was reading this thread because I'm a new owner of used AKAI 38super comp. just wanted to confirm since I have not fired a single round thru her (previous owner said about 6-7k with 38SC) that it would be safe for me to try this gun with 9mm factory load for minor (3gun) from freedom ?Thanks

Bryan

3gun dummies think open minor is faster... You don't score hits and minor won't run the comp and these guns are designed for major. if you are running minor you should just get a glock MOS.

I was reading this thread because I'm a new owner of used AKAI 38super comp. just wanted to confirm since I have not fired a single round thru her (previous owner said about 6-7k with 38SC) that it would be safe for me to try this gun with 9mm factory load for minor (3gun) from freedom ?Thanks

Bryan

3gun dummies think open minor is faster... You don't score hits and minor won't run the comp and these guns are designed for major. if you are running minor you should just get a glock MOS.

What he said but with less judgement. I run my same major load in open division 3 gun. This way point of impact is the same and steel falls better. When I run my limited gun in 3 gun I keep everything about my load the same with the exception that I do drop a lighter bullet on it. This is because I am shooting .40 and it does seem to have advantages.

Don't fully understand the "stroked" thing (can you please explain) and where would I get alum shock buffs? thank you hello.

Bryan

Search it you will find plenty of info. Speed Shooters Int. Is where I get them.