Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cost-effective

blacklab

In the near future I would like to switch from a 9mm 1911 to a 2011 open gun. I will be shooting mostly steel but would like the flexibility to shoot uspsa with hi cap. mags. Unfortunately I don't have $3k to drop into a handgun. I only shoot factory loads so I'm in the minor power factor. (115grs @ 1200fps) My question is, I see a few package deals for 38 super's complete with mags, holsters and pouches for as little as $1500 or $1600. Would it be worth buying a older 38 super and getting it re barreled to 9mm? Would the mags work with factory 9mm? I don't like the idea of shooting 9mm in a 38 barrel so that's not an option.(I don't want to be the first documented case of catastrophic failure) And I'm only out to have fun, not set any records. Any thoughts on the idea?

Edited by blacklab

yes, it's not expensive to have a gun rebarreled in 9mm. you may also require a new extractor but may not. breach face should also be ok, but again will need to be confirmed on the exact pistol in question.

yes factory 9mm should run in the 38 super mags. if it doesn't you just need to buy a matched set of spacers and followers which will solve that problem.

The compensator will not be as effective running factory ammo as there isn't much gas as opposed to running a 9 major load with 7+ grains of powder. Just something to think about before you spend the money.

I using my phone so I'm not sure if I posted this before. Mr Postman thanks for your reply. I know I could do better with hand loads but I don't have time for that. I do have a comp on my 1911 and there is a notable difference in recoil. I would like to get the best performance I can though.

Atlanta Arms and Ammo sells some 38 super major pf ammo, not sure about 9 major. If you do get a 38 super then they have the ammo you need so no re barrel necessary. Check them out, you may be better off going this route.

MrPostman. Thanks for the link. I looked into it and 38 super is $440 a case. I can get 9mm for $300 a case. I think the price difference would add up rather fast. I'm still leaning to the 9mm. Still not sure if it's going to be a re barrel or save up awhile and buy a STI Trubor.

You talk budget but cant make the time to reload? With a Square deal you can do 100 rounds in 15 minutes, that's filling primer tubes and all. Your 300 a case will probably drop to 150 or so a case. But whatever

RJH, when your owned by a small business.............I mean own a small business you don't have a whole lot of free time to experiment with different powders, bullets, primers, set up and get familiar with the loading rig, etc. And since I have no experience with reloading that could take quite a lot of time. I like to shoot to relax, not having to worry about reloading just makes it simpler. MrPostman That's a good thought about selling used brass. That does keep the price closer. I'll take that into consideration. Thanks.

Edited by blacklab

I have my own business too, and I just hate to see someone spend money they don't have to. there are many loads that are listed and easy to find, and reloading isn't hard to do. One night of set-up and you would be ready to go. Its not rocket science and sometimes its even therapeutic. But good luck with what you decide and I hope it works out for you.

RJH, how do you know where to start with reloading? There's soooooooo many things to that have to come together. I read a few things on reloading and it seams very time consuming. Is it really that easy and quick to do?

Not that bad actually. Pick a powder you have available, a bullet you want to shoot, and follow the instructions that come with the press for how to set up your dies. Load some up, make sure you are at power factor, and shoot a bunch to make sure it runs.

Can it be time consuming and a huge pain in the ass to try different loads, sure. But it can also be super easy. Depends on what my goal is as to how much time I spend on a load. For pistol loads that don't require tons of accuracy who cares. My rifle loads are something different.

I have a Dillon 550. Can load 300 rounds an hour and it makes my 9mm less than $10/100 depending on the powder. Paid for itself pretty darn quick!

Blacklab, your idea of staying with 9mm minor, not reloading and switching

to .38 super and converting to 9mm, while spending very little money,

really doesn't make a lot of sense.

An OPEN gun is expensive and almost requires reloading - yes you can

buy a .38 super, convert it to 9mm and try to get it running 9mm minor

loads, but why not just stay with what you have until you have the money

to buy a TruBor (Great Gun, by the way:)).

If you want to save money on shooting, start reloading and saving your

9mm brass, NOW. Then, buy a used TruBor, and you're off and running:)

danjordan hit the nail on the head, except to save even more money buy in bulk online like at powdervalley. But yes it is that simple. Look on the reloading section here to find a powder and possible starting load. Lots of open guys use autocomp, but you don't have too. 124 is a popular bullet weight for the 9/38 supercomp. The biggest time consumer is trying a lot of different load combos, but I also agree with Dan here, doing a lot of load development for a pistol that 99% of shots will be within 20 yds is pretty pointless. If you buy something like a square deal it will come with everything you need to start with the exception of a powder measure and components. You may want to add a brass tumbler at some point to make everything real pretty.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to start back at square one and reevaluate the whole situation. Sounds like my thought train is way off, I'd be spending a dollar to save a dime. But that's why I asked before I acted. :)

Here is another suggestion. Mountain Competition Pistol sells a highly modified Beretta pistol they call the M9 IPSC Match Pistol. Here is the link. http://www.mountaincompetitionpistols.com/M9%20IPSC%20Match%20Pistol You can fit is with a red dot. Dr. Nick does make one for the pistol, but does not have a picture of it on the web.

It works perfectly well with factory ammo, but you can have their custom load loaded for you for around 22 cents a round if you are looking for "perfect" performance. It is designed for minor. The first batch sold out instantly. The last I heard, he has them in stock now.

The Atlanta ammo is actually great value.

At $440 per thousand costs break down like this.

44c per round. Can easily get back 12c for the brass. Now just 32c a round.

To load that round yourself your looking at

10c per bullet

4c per primer

2c per powder drop

Loading equipment cost (say $1000 would get a complete first setup)

Labour.

Brass, say 5c per use if super.

That's abour 20c a round. Suddenly the Atlanta atms stuff at 32c (if you recover and sell the brass) seems pretty good. It will give you a proper major load that'll run an open gun properly.

Actually you can get the equipment for way less than $1000. I have a Lee Pro1000 that I load my 38 supers on. I do a factory crimp on a Lee single stage press after it goes through the three stations on the pro1000. I have about $200 in both presses and the Pro1000 comes with a set of dies from the factory. I also have a Lee loadmaster that I use to load 9mm and 40 s&w, it cost about $250 and it has 5 stations to the Pro1000s 3. I have loaded thousands of quality rounds on both machines. You really have to figure how much your time is worth in order for reloading to be cost effective. It will take time setting up the press properly and then figure about 3 hours to load 1k rounds. I just enjoy being able to taylor my loads but it just isn't feasible for some people due to their limited free time.

Ugh...........All this math makes my brain hurt. Just out of curiosity, everyone is talking about getting the gun to run properly. Cant you just play with different springs to get things to work? Can you tune the gun to a load instead of tuning a load to the gun? Or is it more complicated than that?

Ugh...........All this math makes my brain hurt. Just out of curiosity, everyone is talking about getting the gun to run properly. Cant you just play with different springs to get things to work? Can you tune the gun to a load instead of tuning a load to the gun? Or is it more complicated than that?

You might be able to get it to operate reliably. However, you'd be missing out on all of the experimentation so many Open shooters enjoy (maximize gas to the comp, get it soft, make it flat, and have the dot track the way they want). There must be a lot of Engineers shooting Open.

If you're going to spend the money on a nice Open gun, it just seems like a waste to only take it halfway.