Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did Bill Wilson contradict the new IDPA Rulebook?

Focused

According to the new IDPA rules, the SSP division has a maximum weight of 39 ounces including the magazine. There is a discrepancy in an interview with Bill Wilson. He stated that the S&W 5906 was legal, but the S&W catalog shows that gun weighs 38.3 oz empty. If this is true then the stated weight in SSP should be WITHOUT a magazine. Would that also mean that all the division weights should be gun only?

From the new IDPA Rulebook:

Stock Service Pistol Division (SSP)

Handguns permitted for use in this division must:

D. Have a maximum unloaded weight of 39oz., including an empty magazine. (Will be effective January 25, 2006)

Bill Wilson interview in the IDPA Tactical Journal, Volume 9, Issue 1:

“We drew the line at the Smith & Wesson Model 5906. It’s an all steel 9mm, and it’s about the heaviest gun people are likely to carry concealed”

Smith & Wesson catalog:

5906TSW

Caliber: 9mm

Material: Stainless Steel

Weight Empty: 38.3 ounces

Email from S&W Customer Service:

Q. Does "weight empty" mean with or without a magazine inserted in the 5906TSW?

A. No magazine

Q. What is the weight of a magazine for the 5906TSW?

A. It’s in the area of 3oz.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be real careful with S&W published weights. They are usually on the heavy side rather than actual weight.

Does anyone expect to see a scale at a match? :huh:

Regards.

I believe that there was a consensus in one of these threads that weighing the gun was the only reasonable option anyone has. Published weights are similar to “curb weight” for cars. Much depends on how the thing is tricked out.

geezer

Why not just weigh the silly gun, then mill out the reliefs under the grips until you make the weight limit? You could also do some sneaky stuff underneath the slide. There's a hell of a lot of extra meat under there.

Who's going to know? :ph34r:

Why not just weigh the silly gun, then mill out the reliefs under the grips until you make the weight limit? You could also do some sneaky stuff underneath the slide. There's a hell of a lot of extra meat under there.

Who's going to know? :ph34r:

Well you would.... ;)

Bill Wilson contradict himself/the rulebook? Say it ain't so! It just couldn't be!

Sorry, just got out of class, sarcasm 101. :D

Looking at the other side of the coin concerning the question of lightening an "overweight" gun, you bring your newly lightened Super Whiz-Bang to a match and someone says that they know that gun is over weight, but no scale to find out. Now What? :wacko:

but the S&W catalog shows that gun weighs 38.3 oz empty. If this is true then the stated weight in SSP should be WITHOUT a magazine.

The "weight unloaded" shown in gun catalogs is with an empty magazine in place.

Sorry,

Not always true.

I went through this a year ago over a Kimber TLE/RL (see HERE).

I found that Sig lists weights without mags (particularly pertinent in the case of the GSR because with a mag it is over weight for CDP). I found that both Kimber and Wilson at that time listed some with a mag and some without a mag, and didn't usually note which is which. And, if you call them (whoever) the customer service people have no idea if the published weight is w or w/o a mag. Furthermore, they think you are a bit strange for asking.

Super Whiz-Bang to a match and someone says that they know that gun is over weight, but no scale to find out. Now What?  :wacko:

Switch Sports :lol:

Or better yet, just get a 625 and shoot ESR right? Then you can be another sandclipping moonbagger. :blink: hehehe.

Ted. :P

" Super Whiz-Bang to a match and someone says that they know that gun is over weight, but no scale to find out. Now What? "

Benefit of the doubt always goes to the shooter. In the lack of evidence to the contrary, the gun is legal. If the folks running the match don't have a scale to weigh with, they haven't got anything to gripe about.

Along those lines - if I was going to use a scale to weigh guns at a sanctioned match, I'd make dang sure the thing was calibrated.

Jerry

I found that Sig lists weights without mags (particularly pertinent in the case of the GSR because with a mag it is over weight for CDP).

Haven't seen the SIG catalog listing the GSR, but in every other SIG catalog I've ever seen they do indeed list the weight of the gun without magazine, but they also give you the weight of the magazine. Why they do it that way instead of just listing one all-up number is beyond me, but the bottom line is that it's not terribly hard, given those two numbers, to figure out the total unloaded weight.

Having said that, I tend to take gun companies' published weights with a grain of salt. If I'm discussing a gun's weight in an article, and it's just not worth it to me to weigh the thing, I'll always say, "According to XYZ Gun Co. literature, the 9m Whizbang weigh XX.X ounces unloaded," instead of just saying, "The gun weighs...." Any gun on which it's important to know its real weight - my carry/match gun, for instance - I use a postal scale.

I found that Sig lists weights without mags (particularly pertinent in the case of the GSR because with a mag it is over weight for CDP).

Haven't seen the SIG catalog listing the GSR, but in every other SIG catalog I've ever seen they do indeed list the weight of the gun without magazine, but they also give you the weight of the magazine. Why they do it that way instead of just listing one all-up number is beyond me, but the bottom line is that it's not terribly hard, given those two numbers, to figure out the total unloaded weight.

Having said that, I tend to take gun companies' published weights with a grain of salt. If I'm discussing a gun's weight in an article, and it's just not worth it to me to weigh the thing, I'll always say, "According to XYZ Gun Co. literature, the 9m Whizbang weigh XX.X ounces unloaded," instead of just saying, "The gun weighs...." Any gun on which it's important to know its real weight - my carry/match gun, for instance - I use a postal scale.

Here is sig's web listing. The show weight with both with and without the mag. On others they give weight w/o the mag + mag weight, still others they give w/o the mag only

I think the marketing folks gaffed big with the GSR and some of the strange listings were an attempt to cover it up. Sig had ads in the IDPA tac Journal (that I think mentioned CDP) for a gun that wasn't legal for CDP. They had a published weight of 39.2oz which is below the limit of 41. When you ad the mag, however, it goes to 41.6oz, too heavy.