Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-Gun Retention Holster for STI DVC Limited?

Colds

I called Safariland and Bladetech and both say they don't have a holster for the STI DVC Limited 9 with level II retention. I recently ordered and I'm trying to find something with a thumb drive or some other level II retention.

I LOVE the idea of the 579 GLS Pro from Safariland with the Middle finger release, but they don't make it for the DVC.

I need Level II because the crazy things they have us doing along with the Battle Rattle's I compete in make it easy for a Level I to fail.

Thanks for your help!

Are you right-handed?

The DVC should fit the Safariland 578 ProFit GLS. I'm using an Edge in one right now. The newer version of the 578 ProFit GLS comes with a spacer to work with guns that have narrower trigger guards.

The Edge would actually fit in the original version of the GLS but it would not be retained, as the narrow trigger guard could slip past the lock bar. That spacer (shim) setup in the newer version closes off the gap and doesn't allow the trigger guard the space to slip by.

This is from my conversation with Safariland about it:

I'm not sure if you have tried to install the shim inside of the trigger block to see if that will allow you to have the proper locking fitment with your 2011. I do not show the 2011 as a fitment for the holster, but I do know all of the 1911 style firearms require you to insert the shim so the lock can capture on the narrower trigger guard firearms. I am not sure if we will produce on specifically designed to work with the 2011 at this time I do know we are in the development stages of another new GLS Pro Fit model to fit Sig's with rails and the FNX 45.

Because it would not be retained is why I emailed them asking about any plans to do a 1911/2011 version, since it was easy to see that closing up that gap would make it work. (And thus how I found out they had released a newer version!)

The locking mechanism body is actually different from the old version to the current version.

With the new version of the 578, there is the shim included so guns with the narrower trigger guard can't escape past the locking bar. Their site does NOT show this very well, but the best thing you can do is go here:

https://www.safariland.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-tsg-Site/Sites-tsg-Library/default/dwfa4650b9/product-pdfs/holsters/Safariland_578_Pro-Fit_Fit%20Guide_Owners_Manual%20030215.pdf

Note where it shows STI 1911 is supported with the use of the shim.

Depending on your gun's mag release, etc., expect to cut away a decent amount of the holster body to avoid the mag release button, as well as shorten the locking lever (it interfered with my grip).

So while the holster isn't fully drop-in compatible with a 2011, some quick modifications can make it work. I don't have a lot of time on the holster (only 1 3gun match thus far, along with some dry-fire and practice live-fire) with the Edge in it, but don't anticipate any issues. I used the original 578 GLS for several months with an HK VP9 and love it.

Attached are some pictures, showing the areas that interfered, the inside of the holster with the shim in place, and then progress in cutting away material to avoid the mag release and shorten up the release lever so it doesn't hit the grip. I guess the thinner grip of a 1911 wouldn't hit the release lever, but sure seems like it would be close. I actually had to cut more of the holster body away from the mag release than the picture shows, but haven't taken new pics yet. My latest match video in the link below is me using it.

post-25162-0-55055300-1435688921_thumb.j

post-25162-0-61735900-1435688927_thumb.j

post-25162-0-32964900-1435688936_thumb.j

Edited by AustinWolv

Wow, what an awesome response @AustinWolv! Thank you! I've only posted here a few times and you certainly have giving me more info than I could have asked for.

One more question since you clearly know your stuff. I had the Bladetech mag holders and I'm having trouble with my M&P magazines. If I tighten them and if there is any angle to my pull at all, I can't get the mag out. If I loosen them, they have been falling out on stages (cost me 20 seconds at regionals this weekend).

Ha, I try, but not nearly the expert as some around here. I'm going to get some pictures of the final cutting I had to do on the holster, along with video, and I'll share it here soonish.

You know, my Bladetech mag pouches were super-tight with my HK VP9 mags also. If I loosened them to the point of smooth, quick pulls, they were loose enough to jump out during fast movement.

Conversely, the Bladetechs I have for my STI mags had to be cinched down significantly, retain mags well, but still give smooth pulls.

Honestly, I haven't sat down to check out differences between them and see if there are wall height differences or what............if I get some time soon, will do so and report back.

Edited by AustinWolv

Wow, what an awesome response @AustinWolv! Thank you! I've only posted here a few times and you certainly have giving me more info than I could have asked for.

One more question since you clearly know your stuff. I had the Bladetech mag holders and I'm having trouble with my M&P magazines. If I tighten them and if there is any angle to my pull at all, I can't get the mag out. If I loosen them, they have been falling out on stages (cost me 20 seconds at regionals this weekend).

I'm getting the same thing with my Blade-Tech double mag pouch for the M&P. If you pull perfectly straight up, they come out fine. If you put any outwrd pressure on the mag, they stick like glue. Still haven't figured that one out yet.

Thx. Hopefully I'll see you at one of the regionals and get the chance to buy you a beer. I doubt you're making it this far east, but I'll be at the 3-Gun Eastern Regional in WV next month.

What make and model firearm did you put in for the GLS, or doesn't it matter as they all fit? (I could just order one for my G34 and be good to go for both)

Thanks

Lots of guns fit.

In that 578 Pro-Fit GLS, I could fit every handgun I have.

As shown in the video, it did take some mods to accommodate the wider grip of the 2011 (compared to a 1911, which will fit without any mods, although it looked awfully close to the lever). The long dust cover easily fit in the holster without changing anything about the holster body to slide it in (other than eliminating plastic around the mag release button).

https://www.safariland.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-tsg-Site/Sites-tsg-Library/default/dwfa4650b9/product-pdfs/holsters/Safariland_578_Pro-Fit_Fit%20Guide_Owners_Manual%20030215.pdf

I've attached the "fit chart" from the owner's manual for you to check out. Look at the "shim" column, as those are guns with thinner trigger guards that you would install the shim for.............otherwise, you leave it out. So yes, your G34 will fit.

Furthermore, Safariland told me this on 6/10:

I do know we are in the development stages of another new GLS Pro Fit model to fit Sig's with rails and the FNX 45

post-25162-0-32060800-1436283875_thumb.j

Edited by AustinWolv

• 1 month later...

Austin- Your video is awesome, thanks for posting it.

I've got a GLS holster (the mid-size one) and it works just fine for my STI Marauder. I will need to make similar modifications (relieve around the mag release, trim the lever). Takes a little bit of re-learning going from ALS to GLS tho.

Edited by ironeyes

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...