Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starter Open Gun question

j28s

My son (11 yrs old) has shown some interest in USPSA pistol matches but only wants to shoot red dot optics. Not sure if this is going to be a one off (first match I don't like it and don't do it again), so I was thinking of getting an STI 2011 Marauder 9mm and just shoot minor for a while, I won a new C-MORE STS dot I can put on it, and just need to get a barrel and comp. This way if he doesn't like it, then I can have this as a backup 3gun pistol if he doesn't like it.

With that said, am I missing anything? Is it this easy (granted, I'll need to change the recoil spring and main spring which I have plenty). I don't want to put out $3K on a cheaper open gun in 9mm minor just to upgrade to a 38 super in the future.

Any guidance on this? Thanks.

Unless you have experience fitting barrels to slides I would get a reputable gunsmith to do the work. Why would you "upgrade" to 38 super? The masses are going the 9 route. You have the right idea on what you need but you could also go with a bushing compensator. But I would do what Atlas said, borrow a rig from a local person. That way you have the actual owner who can give some advice on the matter as well.

Good luck and be safe.

Edited by LilBunniFuFu

All of those I know that shoot open are shooting 38 super (major) loads. I am pretty stedfast on 9mm minor. The open 9mm major guns I've seen have problems whereas the 38 super's I've seen run perfect. Some guys that have ran 9mm major switched over to 38 super because they say you have to pack so much powder to make major and the big problem is FTE's on the 9mm major.

Actually a bushing comp isn't a bad idea at all to try for a month to see how he likes it. I forgot about that option. I'm going to ask one of the guys at STI if I can but a new Marauder and they find a trubor barrel to fit it with no machining...guess it won't hurt to ask. Thank you for the info. I do appreciate the help.

The open 9mm major guns I've seen have problems whereas the 38 super's I've seen run perfect. Some guys that have ran 9mm major switched over to 38 super because they say you have to pack so much powder to make major and the big problem is FTE's on the 9mm major.

There are volumes here on 38 vs 9mm for Open (here's a recent one:http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=213502&hl=+38%20+vs), but I can tell you I own a dozen Open guns, only three are 38, one of which is being rebarreled in 9mm as we speak :devil:

Dully noted. I assure you if I were to start shooting open, I would shoot 9mm major hands down. Why? I already reload thousands upon thousands of 9mm every year so I have the reloading components and equipment. I would hate to have to add another caliber in the mix... Just saying what I have seen on the range which may only be an issue with local shooters versus others...

Hello: Ask your match director if your son can shoot a 22 with a red dot. That will be your cheapest route. Both of you can use it for steel matches and practice. If he doesn't like it you are out very little since you can always sell the 22 and keep the dot. Another option would be to find a used open gun and rebarrel it in 9mm. Just ask around your club. I have loaned out my open gun to get people started and to see if they actually want to shoot open. Open is not for everyone. The last option I have for you is putting a red dot on a Glock 17/34 and shooting minor with no comp. This works well also. Thanks, Eric

Definitely see if you can borrow a gun. Eric loaned me his open gun 3 years ago and I've been shooting open ever since.

In my opinion, the dot is the best part of open. If you can get a dot on a handgun you already own I wouldn't worry about the comp. If your son likes it you can start the investment in an open gun that runs major and minor.

Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I have a couple production M&P Pro 9mm guns. I went ahead and got a barrel & comp and red dot mount from Carver. I'll put the c-more STS I have on it and see how he likes it. $500 in the hole...worst case sell the parts. Thanks again...I do appreciate the help.

Thanks guys. I have a couple production M&P Pro 9mm guns. I went ahead and got a barrel & comp and red dot mount from Carver. I'll put the c-more STS I have on it and see how he likes it. $500 in the hole...worst case sell the parts. Thanks again...I do appreciate the help.

If you have any interest in letting him try steel challenge with his open gun bring him down to Columbia, SC on the 3rd Saturday or down to our club in Charleston, SC on the 4th Saturday. I'd be happy to have you guys come shoot and see if steel matches are something he would enjoy.

• 2 months later...

The better designed ones (lots of baffles and good port setup) work if you load ammo designed to take advantage of a comp. But they don't work as well as a screw on comp because the bushing comp's bullet exit hole must be large enough for the barrel to pass through it during recoil, so a lot of gas exits out the front and is wasted whereas the screw-on comp's exit hole only needs to be as big as the bullet, which forces more gas into the baffles and ports making the comp work better.

I know the Wilson comp works on .45ACP http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Compensators/products/421/ Haven't had any luck with others I've tried so that's the only bushing comp I can vouch for. It works about half as well as a real comp does.

Just remember that when you install one of these that you're replacing your guns barrel bushing, your point of impact and/or accuracy can and probably will be affected.

• 2 weeks later...