Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 not going fully into battery

Adam B

This is a new one for me, any idea what would cause a practically brand new stock 2 not to go fully into battery? It seems to do it only once and a while. I am thinking a heavier recoil spring might correct it until it gets broken in, there is under 1000s rounds through it.

post-5270-0-14531500-1435608010_thumb.jp

Heavier recoil spring is NOT the answer 95% of the time.

Possible causes:

Extractor has a sharp edge

Burr on breach face

Ammo not crimped properly

Bullet seating depth not correct for shape of bullet

Too heavy or recoil spring

Does it go into battery if you tap it ?

Edited by Nealio

If it's brand new you think it may be really tight and just needs to get run some? I remember when I got my limited it was so tight it would do that even just racking the slide. I put a good coat of slide glide and simply kept racking the hell out of it and pulling it forward all the way if it stuck and then once I fired some rounds it eventually broke in and cycles fine. May be something totally different for you than me but just throwing ideas out

• 1 month later...

My new s2 did the same thing. Pic with factory spring in the stuck position. It also felt real nasty gritty cycling the slide.

20150725_105156_zps5rinknow.jpg

While polishing parts, I put some xfine paste in the rail and racked the snickers out of it for a bit. Cleaned it up and saw a couple shiny spots, but it smoothed out and no longer does it. Could gdt the same result just shooting it.

• 2 months later...

I am having the same issue but only when the mag is inserted. It does it without any rounds in it so it's not an ammo issue. It is only the last 1/8th inch or so is just gritty feeling and the slide stop lever moves a little. About 500 rounds is all through the gun. Any ideas, or what did the previous posters do to resolve the issue?

I see the op Adam looks like he had the Titan hammer installed. I also just added the Titan hammer and 1pc sear, cgw disco, I don't recall this happening before but I never really checked it. Could any of the mods listed above cause this issue?

If I recall when I first got my stock II it was doing the same thing. The bottom edge of the breech face had a burr or was so sharp from the factory, instead of it pushing the follower (or next round in the mag) down, it was digging into it. I put the slightest of bevel on that edge, then went back and polished it all up, and the problem ever happened again. It would actually take chunks of brass out of the next round in the magazine at times...

The bottom edge of the slide is rough sometimes, and this could cause undue drag from the slide stop on an empty mag.

Nealio, you are correct, what I am feeling is the slide stop going up the last cut in the slide. I took the barrel and guide rod out and put a light at the rear and looked down where the barrel was and could see what I was feeling. I slightly chamfered the slide stop block and polished the "ramp" in the cut of the slide. It is better but when racking real slow still catches just a little.