Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning a Dan Wesson PM 9 for IDPA competition

opensol

Hello: In IDPA a lot of times it is better to go to slide lock instead of a load with retention. Also starting with 10 rounds it is an even number of paper targets you will be engaging instead of having to reengage a target with only one round in it if you start with 11 rounds. When I shot IDPA years ago with my single stack the 9 round magazines worked out better than the 10 round ones for most stages. I guess it is just the gamer in me. Thanks, Eric

Hello: In IDPA a lot of times it is better to go to slide lock instead of a load with retention. Also starting with 10 rounds it is an even number of paper targets you will be engaging instead of having to reengage a target with only one round in it if you start with 11 rounds. When I shot IDPA years ago with my single stack the 9 round magazines worked out better than the 10 round ones for most stages. I guess it is just the gamer in me. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the info. I rarely shoot IDPA (too many rules!!!), and never thought enough about it to realize that it's advantageous to have an even number of rounds in the gun. Of course now you can dump rounds without penalty (or so I was told at the last match I shot), so it's less of an issue I guess.

And I just sold the five 9 round mags I got when I bought my Springfield Loaded Target...

For you guys that are using an oversize mag release button, my understanding is that the button can be "extended", but not "oversized" per IDPA ESP rules. How can you use an "oversized" button?

JD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, Bikesroget said:

Will a Dawson Steel magwell  put my pointman nine over weight

Not sure what idpa weight is but usually it will go over the 43 ozs rule in USPSA

I used a Dawson ICE Magwell with Aluminum MSH and made weight

Might also have to use a GI or Aluminum guide rod.

I love my pair. I replaced the stock trigger bow with an STI because the part is much lighter in weight. This allowed me to reduce the center leaf spring tension, thus lightening the trigger pull while maintaining a positive reset. Dawson front sight, Techwell magwell, Wolff 17# mainspring, Wolff 9# recoil spring. Otherwise pretty much stock. All of the DW parts are great. Don't really need to change much. 

PM9_Pair.jpg