Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open advantage over limited on steel

frsdscc

Given two plate racks, same size plates, same distance, what is your best guess as to how much quicker a shooter with an open gun (we're talking full blown 9mm or 38 super hybri-comp, C-more, STI frame, recoil master spring setup, lightened slide) vs a shooter of equal ability using a stock 9mm or 40 shooting light steel loads? If the open gun has an advantage is it because it is easier to use a dot? A flatter gun with faster shot to shot and faster cycling speed? In terms of speed, how much is the open gun worth? two tenths of a second...more? Just a theoretical curiosity.......

I have no idea because my gun does not have a hybri comp, STI frame or a recoil master setup. Cycling speed is not a factor.

Probably just like anything else where open guns are used. The dot makes them faster.

When I shoot steel with an open gun, I use a minor load around 150PF. Whether it is faster than my Limited gun depends on the range of the targets. If they are distant, I am much faster with the open, because the dot is more precise for aiming. If they are close the Limited gun is faster, and I shoot 140PF loads in it.

I've stood at a plate rack & shot my STI open gun & my CZ Shadow, no draw just low ready & I'm always faster with the STI .... the combination of an easier sight picture (nothing to line up) plus a compensator (basically no recoil) lets me shooter faster ....

We have guys that win the overall in steel matches with a limited gun. A lot to do with the shooter. Some beat themselves w/ limited when they run both limited and open at the same match. Hard to guess/know.

Edited by echotango

A quick skim of this year's Steel Nationals results appear to show many shooters roughly 10 seconds slower with their limited guns. /31= .32 of a second difference per run.

On a plate rack, the time differences will come with distance. I would think most people can shoot a 7 yard rack with the same times on either gun.

Interesting. We have a plate match a couple of times each month and you shoot whatever you want, meaning if you bring a limited gun and everyone else brings an open gun you really need to be on your game, especially on the draw to first shot. If the guy with the dot gets off to the races first, it's a tough job to pass him on the rack with a limited gun. Having tried this a number of times, the biggest issue has been trying to push out of my comfort zone to close a gap that may not have been that large in the first place.