Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First try yesterday with the new .22 conversion kit

It ran like crap! I mainly shot Winchester M-22 and they have given issues in other pistols. I had about 30 rounds of Remington Golden Bullets and they seemed okay. It looked like the primer strikes were not all that great and the extractor wasn't clamping on like it should. Any suggestions?

My first suggestion would be to try some CCI or Federal high velocity stuff. I have never has success with Winchester or Remington .22LR ammo... What weight hammer spring are you running, you will likely have to go heavier for reliable ignition.

I had to file the part of the extractor that goes into the groove on the barrel because the extractor was getting pushed out so it couldn't grab the rim. Check that on yours.

Also read my writeup on how to tune the mag so that your slide moves freely, that can cause FTFs, FTEs, light strikes, etc.

I ran it on my Limited Pro which has the stock hammer spring, etc...

I think the hotter ammo for sure will help. When the slide goes back it gets catchy at the end of the travel. Maybe it needs a heavier recoil spring to move it forward better?

don't give up.. it took me about a month to get the slide to fit exactly right and start running flawlessly. Try holding the gun to one side while you safely shoot a round down range watching how the slide acts. I found mine to be hanging up in at 1/4 open, fully open, and 3/4 closed. when I took the slide off, I noticed where the coloring turned shiny and polished those areas over with with a piece of Emory cloth. There area couple of threads on here about tuning the .22 conversions up.

a lot of the .22lr conversion issues are actually not slide related at all (although a few are). Most of the problems are with the frame and trigger mechanisms. Check out polishing a trigger, the sear housing and the hammer assemblies. once you get these parts smoothed out the slide works 80% better, then you can focus on the slide issues that are left. if you need me to I can post up links and pictures of every thing I did to make my conversion shoot flawlessly.

• 3 weeks later...

I received my witness .22 conversion kit in the mail yesterday and mounted it on top of my witness steel. I was very pleased how good the slide to frame fit was and how the magazine fit in the frame. I had a chance to run one magazine full of Federal American Eagles thru it tonight before the rain hit. I know it was just ten rounds but the the gun cycled with no problems.

Intercooler, I want to run the conversin on my Limited Pro frame, also, but right now its completely diassambled for a thorough cleaning. Let us know of any progress with the gun and I think if you try all the suggestions listed in this forum, you can get it running smoothly.

• 1 month later...

I polished on the feed ramp and barrel before this last time out and still not thrilled. It seems I get some strikes about every magazine that won't fire. I'm also finding at times (more than I like), it will fail to extract the brass. I can drop the magazine on an un-fired light strike and it won't extract it. It's like it really needs to come forward some and for the extractor to go in behind the brass rim... but doesn't. When I went to try it on my Limited I found out the magazine won't clip in due to the magwell. Since my Ruger MIII eats everything, I don't think this thing should be finicky to one perfect ammo! Any suggestions?

High velocity ammo, and avoiding uncoated lead bullets like the plague, and frequent cleaning/lubing have been central to me getting all of my .22 conversions working. Sounds like you are down that path already.

I also have resorted to filing and smoothing the extractor, which may have burrs or a bad lip profile.