Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide porting

olp73

I have a question regarding slide porting. I understand that porting the slide makes it move faster during recoil, but how does this affect the feeling of the gun during the shoot. Since a lot of people do this, I guess there is something to gain. So what is the lure? Less felt recoil? Faster back on target? Is there some spring or bullet weight that is more suitable in combination with lightened slides?

You can make a 6" slide have the feel of a 5" slide.

Less muzzle flip due to lower reciprocating mass.

Less sensation of the gun cycling.

Benny talked me out of chopping up my 5" govt. slide, but there's definite mileage to be gained with a 6" slide.

Another advantage is transitions from target to target. A heavy gun might be more stable for firing a double tap on a stationary target. But, a lightened gun is easier to start moving and stop on another target. The lightening, for me, also greatly reduces muzzle flip. My .40 shoots extremely fast and flat but is quick from the holster to the first target and on transitions.

Since I am not American I am only shooting 5’’. No 6’’ in IPSC. So, why no porting of government length slides? And how do I know if this is anything for me or if the gun could be a candidate? And who is this Benny?

What is the actual weight in ounces of lightened slide? What is light for a USPSA Limited gun compared to a Steel Challenge gun? The slide on my STI .40 is "three sided" (going by SVI Gun Builder's terms) and I haven't weighed it but I imagine that profile is pretty light compared to a "round top". Anybody have numbers for a frame of reference? I like my gun the way it is, I'm just curious.

Cool factor :)

You always say that, but it is so true.

REPOSTED from another thread :) (cause I'm lazy)

5 vs 6 - Heavy vs Light - Fiber Optic vs Standard Sight - Short Open vs Long Open

I've tried all of these and NONE of them seem to make ANY difference in my scores. Yes, some are more comfortable, less violent, ect., but MY times and points don't change. I can shoot as accurately with my Sig P226 as my wiz bang limited gun. I can shoot as fast with a light gun as a heavy gun (or long versus short for open.) The guns I have are the result of trying a lot of guns out and taking what I like best and making what I want. Do they make me shoot any better, nope. That is not subjective, I've put it to the timer. Everthing has it's trade off's.

I went back to shooting limited because I knew that shooting open I could get away with doing things wrong and in limited you can't "cheat" your technique and perform as well. It had taught me a lot, most of all it taught me that as long as your gun groups, is 100% reliable, has a decent trigger, and likes to eat bullets and be dry fired, it won't be what holds you back.

Now cool factor, that's a whole different story...

... there is no accounting for taste. B)

As for which is best, whichever one convinces you to play with it most

I currently have two pistols from STI. One is an Executive and the other is an Eagle with full option (Long and wide frame, unique slide, chrome and so....

Both guns are identical except the Eagle has a three sided slide.

The weight difference is 30 grammes.

FWIW ;)

OLP73, everyone in england has known me for a long time from my T-V show there, where have you been?  Benny Hill

More than funny!!!

………but if anyone can answer my original post it is you. I have checked a little in your web page and you seem to have a lot of experience when it comes to the topic at hand.

When I put holes in my slide, I got more slide speed, snappier (and looked flatter) recoil BUT more slap going into the palm.

If you're used to an open gun, maybe you'll like the feeling. But I didn't. So I increased the recoil spring until I got the same feeling I had with my old non-lightened slide. <_<

Also, back here in IPSC land, I'm seeing quite a few cut gov't (or commander) slides with a stationary weight in front making the slide 5". Sorta like an old 45 pin gun with the comps in front but without the comp baffles or holes. Haven't shot one yet and I'm not sure it's doing the shooters any good based on their standings. ;):lol::ph34r:

Well, you know what, you can stick some a no-talent schmuck behind the wheel of the hottest Formula 1 and they'll probably finish dead last (actually they'll probably hit a wall long before that). But that's hardly proof that Lola makes a shitty race car.

20% extra sight radius in a package with the snappiness and feel of a 5" gun is an advantage. Just because a bunch of goofballs aren't taking advantage of what's in their holsters is not an indictment of a good platform.

Oliver: STI will come up with such a pistol soon.

They showed it at the ShotShow. It's a long framed shortened (ok it sounds weird ;) ) pistol with a blank trubore barrel holding the sights and It fits the box.

Check out European STI team's website there is one pictured under the news section, then Shotshow.

European STI Team

EricW is right, this is not necessary to have the hottest pistol with cool lightening if you can't fully exploit it.

Check out TGO's standard gun, it's pretty basical on cosmetics but the guy can seriously kick lots of butts with it !

Hello Julien, is this the one?

Edit: Whoa! The image exploded! Here's a smaller one you can click to bring another bigger pic.

a_DSCF0170.jpg

First time I saw this was at my shooting club 10 years ago. Someone had shopped down a compensator a shortened the slide on his Para. The comp was on cone of course, I am sure the trubore gives more weight.

I think it is a really good idea. You get weight out where it helps fight recoil and you get a faster lighter slide. No slide porting necessary!!