Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plagued with mis-fires and light primer strikes

robomanusa

Just shot my first match using my 625, I had a blast it was fun, but coulda dealt without all the problems I had... :D

even with all my problems I wasn't far from the number one shooter.

I thought maybe my strain screw had backed out on me, so I stopped pulled the grip off and checked that, nope!...It was still tight...hmm what else could it be?

I did not have that problem while sighting in my new rear site or chronoing my loads, but it was all single action firing for that stuff..

I'm pretty sure my problem is related to the cold weather and me not getting all the excess oil out of the action after my triggerjob as when I got home I made a call to a buddy of mine and he told me some of his bullseye guns have a problem in cold weather if there is oil in them, so i pulled the sideplate off mine and sure enough, the hoppes oil i used was pretty damn thick from being outside in 40 degree weather, LOL.....so Im thinking it was fine for single action with the heavy oil since single action fire has a longer throw on the hammer while double action has a shorter stroke.

I've soaked the inside of my 625's with oil before a match (warm and cold) and haven't experienced misfires. It could be the cause but I'd keep checking other stuff...

First thing I would assume is that you've had a trigger job and you should be using Federal primers (despite what some people say, they seem to work better with lighter spring hammer strikes). Mine won't fire conistent with any but Federal primers. You could switch back to heavy springs and test the same ammo.

Another problem that has just come to light (for some of us) is that the new MIM cylinder stop wears down and caused the cylinder to skip during rapid firing. Ron Holland PistolPacking.com will square these off for a nominal fee. Order them from brownells and send them to him if you prefer.

Check your reloader if your handloading and make sure the primers are getting seated all the way. High primers will cause misfires also. This is pretty likely if you cycle the cylinder again and it goes off the second time through.

You may be short-stroking your trigger. This can happen occasionally if you are not familiar with the gun/trigger or you just get excited and don't follow through with the trigger pull.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it and finished so well. :D

I've soaked the inside of my 625's with oil before a match (warm and cold) and haven't experienced misfires. It could be the cause but I'd keep checking other stuff...

First thing I would assume is that you've had a trigger job and you should be using Federal primers (despite what some people say, they seem to work better with lighter spring hammer strikes). Mine won't fire conistent with any but Federal primers. You could switch back to heavy springs and test the same ammo.

Another problem that has just come to light (for some of us) is that the new MIM cylinder stop wears down and caused the cylinder to skip during rapid firing. Ron Holland PistolPacking.com will square these off for a nominal fee. Order them from brownells and send them to him if you prefer.

Check your reloader if your handloading and make sure the primers are getting seated all the way. High primers will cause misfires also. This is pretty likely if you cycle the cylinder again and it goes off the second time through.

You may be short-stroking your trigger. This can happen occasionally if you are not familiar with the gun/trigger or you just get excited and don't follow through with the trigger pull.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it and finished so well. :D

There were only 2 of us shooting revo at the match, LOL. But considering my problems and the extra reloads I had to do because of it. It's a wonder I wasnt further behind in the scores than what i was.

The hoppes lubricating oil i used was damn near like a grease with it being 40 degrees outside. My triggerjob was self done with wolf springs and 800grit for polishing areas with, double action pull is 9.25lbs with a 2.5lb single action pull.

Primers I use are WLP....I feel I shouldnt have to rely on any single brand of primer to use in my gun, if a triggerjob will not reliably light off all primers from all manufacturers something isnt right.

what is the best lube for revolvers?

I may put the stock hammer spring back in and try it like that, especially since during the match I didnt really notice the heavy double action pull like I figured I would....hehe

Nick,

After I did my trigger job, I applied slide glide and wiped it off. I haven't had any problems regardless of weather.

Dave

which version? regular, light or heavy???

I degreased all the internals a little bit ago and put it back together with no lube and could tell a big diference in hammer speed after getting that heavy oil outta there.

Nick,

I hate to say it but when it comes to action jobs on revolvers , you have to drink the Federal primer kool aid. They are the only primer to use, they are the softest and the most reliable. You might want to install an extended firing pin, that might help. I have never heard of to much oil in the gun causing misfires.

Tom Mainus

Nick,

If you are satisfied with the 9 1/2 lbs on the trigger::::: degrease, Rem oil with teflon(just enough to know your rebound slide is lubed good and the trigger and Hammer Pivot).Not running everywhere.....

9 1/2 should be 100% on Federal, and Winchester.... don't know about Remington have not tried them and avoid CCI (hardest of all the primers) Rem and Win are close.

If you want lighter you will HAVE to do the Federal thing. <_<

I have Vic Pickett Kit in mine and Have done the polish ect. 5 3/4 100% on Federal Primers.... (was 5 1/2 at Florida and had that "1" light strike)

Glad to hear you had fun !!!! :D

Sometimes these dudes can be frustrating..... Just like an Autoblaster ;)

Hopalong

Check your primers for seating depth. Make sure they are Federal primers. Relax and do not short stroke trying to go too fast. Do not sacrifice trigger reliability for trigger lightness. Test every screw on the gun before the match (those of us that have been around long enough have seen everything on the gun possible either come loose or hit the ground). Murphy lives at USPSA matches. Be happy and enjoy the Zen of revolver shooting.

Add my vote for using Federal primers as the primer of choice for a S&W 625 after an action job. WW primers are good primers in my ammo loaded for use in my 1911's, but I have learned the hard way to use Federals for the 625. (the click, click, click, bang, click, click sound still haunts me)

Nick,

If you are satisfied with the 9 1/2 lbs on the trigger::::: degrease, Rem oil with teflon(just enough to know your rebound slide is lubed good and the trigger and Hammer Pivot).Not running everywhere.....

9 1/2 should be 100% on Federal, and Winchester.... don't know about Remington have not tried them and avoid CCI (hardest of all the primers) Rem and Win are close.

If you want lighter you will HAVE to do the Federal thing. <_<

I have Vic Pickett Kit in mine and Have done the polish ect. 5 3/4 100% on Federal Primers.... (was 5 1/2 at Florida and had that "1" light strike)

Glad to hear you had fun !!!! :D

Sometimes these dudes can be frustrating..... Just like an Autoblaster ;)

Hopalong

I will spray a bit of rem oil in there, its way lighter than the hoppes oil I had used on it. I had so much in there it was running outta the gun when i first stuck it in there, then when i got it outside in the cold the stuff turned to grease, hehe.

I'm happy with the triggerjob I done, even at 9.25lbs its way lighter than the original stock pull was.

Even with my problems the first time out in a match with a revolver I still had a good time and am noway gonna let it discourage me.

I dont think I did too bad... :blink:

http://www.ohiouspsa.com/match_results/pic...05_Revolver.txt

Nick - Another alternative is to clean off the Hoppe's oil and apply Break-Free, let it sit for a few minutes, and wipe it off. Rem Oil should work fine for it too. The inside doesn't have to be wet.

Man Nick.....

the first time I shot Revo at a Match I came in 3rd..... :rolleyes:

And was the only Revo there :wacko:

Glad Kyle let you shoot in the same match as him and His PLASTIC MATELL TOY ! :lol::lol::lol:

Glad you had fun..... and Kyle and Anderson too (watching you have fun)

Hop

(trigger works better for me with Remoil with Teflon) (haven't tried Slide glide Sorry BE)

I shoot a 625 as does a good friend; both guns have trigger work. Federal primers are the ONLY way to make a 625 with a light trigger work 100%. For all my other guns, I use Winchester but Federal is the way to go w/a 625.

DANG :angry:

I was going to be there and bring another revolver shooter but my daughter brought home a nasty bug from daycare and the whole family is sick. Would have been nice to meet you Nick. See you in April?

You have to watch ol' Ed :P ...he's a bit long in the tooth but he doesn't miss. He's not super fast but deadly accurate. ;)

Definitely put a dab of loctite on the screws! :blink: I came back from the IDPA Nationals last year and tore my 625 apart to clean it...forgot to lock the screws again. SA was running me through a stage and my cylinder fell completely out in my hand on a reload towards the end of the match :wacko: . I was dumbstruck since I'd never had that happen in IDPA...SA looks at me as calmly as can be as the timer runs at warpspeed and says "are you finished?" Uh....what could I say? I had a gun in two parts...he thought it was hilarious. <_<

You have to watch ol' Ed :P ...he's a bit long in the tooth but he doesn't miss. He's not super fast but deadly accurate. ;)

Ed was really nice, we got along great....he was shooting minor, which doesnt matter since he shoots A's....LOL

I will probably be at Aprils match as well, hope to see you there, I will also be shooting all of MRP's matches, though maybe not all revo as I also shoot those mattel toys hopalong refers too... :D

....he was shooting minor, which doesnt matter since he shoots A's....LOL

I will probably be at Aprils match as well, hope to see you there, I will also be shooting all of MRP's matches

He's probably getting rid of all his old IDPA loads since I informed him that the new ESR is 165pf... :P

Can't open the link to MRP on the Ohio Section page. I'm up for a road trip....

Be sure that all of your moon clips are absolutely flat. Check them on a piece of glass. Bent clips can contribute to light strikes by acting as a shock absorber.

What style firing pin does your gun use? EGW makes a replacement for the frame mounted pins that can help.

Oh yeah, have you considered Federal primers? ;)

Nick...as you can see, if you shoot a wheel gun with anything except FEDERAL primers...guys will be poking you with a sharp stick. :)

(I am looking into a group order on primers and powder....let me know if you want anything.)

redmist...what out...Ed is "trying to speed up". :)

Be sure that all of your moon clips are absolutely flat. Check them on a piece of glass. Bent clips can contribute to light strikes by acting as a shock absorber.

What style firing pin does your gun use? EGW makes a replacement for the frame mounted pins that can help.

Oh yeah, have you considered Federal primers? ;)

I will check all my monclips, they are all brandnew. My firing pin is the hammer mounted one and havent ever seen an extended version for those.

....he was shooting minor, which doesnt matter since he shoots A's....LOL

I will probably be at Aprils match as well, hope to see you there, I will also be shooting all of MRP's matches

He's probably getting rid of all his old IDPA loads since I informed him that the new ESR is 165pf... :P

Can't open the link to MRP on the Ohio Section page. I'm up for a road trip....

It shoulda opened a blank page atleast, LOL, I havent had a chance to make an info page for MRP, and some of the other clubs are kinda slow at returning email to kyle.

Nick...as you can see, if you shoot a wheel gun with anything except FEDERAL primers...guys will be poking you with a sharp stick. :)

Yeah, LMAO...but, but, I have one hopalongs plastic mattel toys I can poke back with... :D