Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911/2011s and Remington Primers

PKT1106

What is everyone's experience with Remington primers in the 1911/2011s? I am using an Edge in 40 with a 17lb mainspring and will be loading on a Dillon 550.

Tried searching, but did not see a whole lot of info. My local Cabelas seems to always have Remington 1 1/2 primers in stock. Might also use them for my M&P40 Pro for minor.

Thanks

Be aware that Remington 1 1/2 primers are not intended for high pressure rounds like the .40. Here is what's on the box: “Do not use 1 1/2 small pistol primers in high intensity pistol cartridges such as the 357 magnum, 357 SIG and the 40 S&W. Damage to your firearm and/or personal injury may result.”

These primers are rather thin and show high pressure signs in these calibers, such that they risk being pierced which can damage your gun.

I have used Remington primers for about 2000 .40 loads. I load to 168-170pf using W231 and experienced no issues with pressure. I rate them about the same as CCI primers for hardness. If your gun can light off CCI then you should be good with Remington primers.