Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New (to me) Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical - What do I need?

I found a used Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical at a price that I can live with. I am picking it up tonight. It has an 18.5" barrel, and its capacity is 7+1.

I had a JM Pro that never would function properly, so I got rid of it and decided to wait until I could find something affordable, and better than the JM. I hope this will be the one.

I shot several 3 Gun matches last year and loved it. I shoot open/unlimited - I'm really SLOW, but I love using optics on the rifle and pistol, so open/unlimited works for me.

The M1 would be just for 3G. The upgrades that are already on my radar, are: lifter and loading port. I'm also considering a longer tube, front sight (need to see what it has first),

What else does this Benelli need?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I shot a M1 pistol grip 18.5" with rifle sights for 4 years before going to a Versa and then last year to a Browning A5. I've worked on many M1s and pistol grips.

If you have a pistol grip stock, I would get the Taran Tac light recoil spring. This always help reliability and eliminated a lot of issues after installing an extended lifter.

If you have rifle sights, paint the center slots in bright orange. The miniature bottles of plastic model paint in orange work great and stay on after solvents.

Get a matchsaverZ .

Oversize bolt release.

Greg

Roxymajor - Thanks, It doesn't have the pistol grip. With the regular stock, do I need to replace the spring after I get the lifter done?

LilBunniFuFu - Thanks. At the moment, I'm using weak hand, dual. I either need a lot of practice to move up to quad loading, or I may consider one of those huge speed loading systems. Wow, is there any end to the number of toys available? :-)

Hey guys, I am having issues with what seems to be "bump firing". I'm pretty sure that for every occurrence the stock wasn't shouldered properly, but I want to ensure that it's me and not the gun.

Always an eye opener for me and especially the RO. I want to make sure I'm not sent home early for an issue that can be addressed. Please advise.

Hey guys, I am having issues with what seems to be "bump firing". I'm pretty sure that for every occurrence the stock wasn't shouldered properly, but I want to ensure that it's me and not the gun.

Always an eye opener for me and especially the RO. I want to make sure I'm not sent home early for an issue that can be addressed. Please advise.

Monster thread drift. Anything to do with OP question? No. Look around for another thread.

Weak-hand dual-loads with a pistol grip? That sounds awkward.

Pistol-grip shotguns aren't especially conducive to fast loading. They just get in the way.

I have an M1 super 90, it has the pistol grip and I load with my support hand. I may not be as fast as the super squad or Jesse Tischauser, but I can quad load 8 off the shoulder and back on target in 6 seconds. Hasn't hurt me in a 3 Gun Nation Club match so far.

I also have another one for a backup that's set up the same way but without the pistol grip. It loads about the same.

Weak-hand dual-loads with a pistol grip? That sounds awkward.

Pistol-grip shotguns aren't especially conducive to fast loading. They just get in the way.

I have an M1 super 90, it has the pistol grip and I load with my support hand. I may not be as fast as the super squad or Jesse Tischauser, but I can quad load 8 off the shoulder and back on target in 6 seconds. Hasn't hurt me in a 3 Gun Nation Club match so far.

I also have another one for a backup that's set up the same way but without the pistol grip. It loads about the same.

Sorry Brian but 6 seconds shoulder-to-shoulder time is a bit shy of the "fast" category.

ETA: Just recognized your name, aren't Polo's matches badass for a club match?

Edited by TonytheTiger

Thanks everyone! So, here's the update: I sent the trigger group to C-Rums to get the lifter welded, and I ordered another Nordic Components tube that will give it a capacity of 8+1. By the way, the stock does not have a pistol grip. Now comes the hard part.....waiting for everything to get here!